Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

sorry, i originally posted this one to the wrong forum

wondering if anyone has any real advise or answer to this question. when i was 18yrs old, me and my buddies used to go to canada (because you can drink beer, watch naked women and buy prostitutes...haha...too expensive!!)

anyway...one trip i failed to see a stop sign and got pulled over by montreals finest. the ticket was for 200 dollars. i refused to pay because there was no stop sign, it had been pushed over by a snow plow.

anway, within several months of threatening letters, i got a letter which basically advised if i set foot in canada again, i'll be arrested...and the ticket was now for like 500 dollars or something...late fees.

maybe 6 years later, i decided i might want to visit there some day so i tried to contact canadian DMV to 'fix' this issue. they could not find any record...but i may have been in contact with the wrong department.

so now, it has been 13 years or so and i'm hoping to be an international pilot ...you know...left seat 747 :) ...how bad is that? should i mention it? do they really keeps traffic stop/no ticket payments history that long? anyone know about this?

Da Vinci said:
sorry, i originally posted this one to the wrong forum

You mean it was in YGBSM where it belongs?

I doubt if any country holds a grudge on a traffic warrant for that long- especially the fuzzy, lovable Canadians!

Game on.

They may very well keep those records. I know at our airline we've had FA's that in the past have had DUI convictions and some with other misdemeanors that have had problems with Canadaian customs. About a year ago maybe more, Canada issued some ruling wherebye they would be checking for criminal backgrounds for all crewmembers entering Canada. I think this may have been backlash for the U.S. policies in place now since 9/11. Anyhow we were told by our company that if you had a conviction in your past then you may not be allowed into Canada. Obviously this presents a problem if you are a crew member who's supposed to overnight there or even if you are just doing a turn there and have to clear customs. And these were convictions in the U.S. not in Canada.

Good luck.

I think because it was more than 10 years ago, it wont matter. IF you have a warrant out, that would be a problem though. I think it would have dropped after that long though.

The DMV would have nothing to do with it now. You need to contact the Montreal Police Service (Service de police de la Ville de Montréal). But before you do that, brush up on your french. Good luck with that.

MJG said:
They may very well keep those records. I know at our airline we've had FA's that in the past have had DUI convictions and some with other misdemeanors that have had problems with Canadaian customs. About a year ago maybe more, Canada issued some ruling wherebye they would be checking for criminal backgrounds for all crewmembers entering Canada. I think this may have been backlash for the U.S. policies in place now since 9/11. Anyhow we were told by our company that if you had a conviction in your past then you may not be allowed into Canada. Obviously this presents a problem if you are a crew member who's supposed to overnight there or even if you are just doing a turn there and have to clear customs. And these were convictions in the U.S. not in Canada.

Good luck.

Of course these same schanigans have no problem letting in all the islamic terrorists who do not even have so much as an ID and seek "asylum" as a crutch and instead setting up camp to later drift south to attack the USA. Of course all the time they are up there they are getting free healthcare, and a place to stay courtesy of the taxpayers. DUI vs blowing up a bus full of children. Think long and hard about that for a minute. That just makes me sick--and I thought our politicians were bad! To all those responsible........go fark yourselves!!

Since you won't be taking your driver's license into Canada with you...and you were never fingerprinted in Canada, you don't have much to worry about. The bench warrant in Canada is cross-referenced to your DL number, and your name/address. (If your name is "John Smith", you are bulletproof. If your name is "Dick Gozinia" or "Selma Junkoff", it's a little riskier)

However...if you have a DUI in the USA, the new cross-border arrangements mean that any felony convictions in the USA (or vice versa) show up in the other country's records.

Pilots and F/A's processing through Canadian customs have learned that any USA DUI is classified as a felony in Canada, even if it was not classified as a felony in the USA. Unless you get approval to enter the country - coordinated thru our State Department - you are persona non grata in the Great White North.

Occam's Razor said:
However...if you have a DUI in the USA, the new cross-border arrangements mean that any felony convictions in the USA (or vice versa) show up in the other country's records.

This just occured to me. Since President Bush was convicted of DUI almost 30 yrs ago does he have to jump through these hoops every time as well? This whole thing is insane, of course but just got me wondering

PAPA FOX! said:
This just occured to me. Since President Bush was convicted of DUI almost 30 yrs ago does he have to jump through these hoops every time as well? This whole thing is insane, of course but just got me wondering

I wish!

I guess he "knows" someone at the State Department...

It'd be fun to watch the Canucks 'cuff him.

Occam's Razor said:
That is so insane, it is hysterical. The people that used to sell our bootlegers whiskey so that they could smuggle it back into the US during prohibition, have made DUI a felony? Insane.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back