can we totally blame de-regulation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hate2bL8

I contend that we cannot totally blame the free-market for what has happened in aviation I.E pilot salaries. De-regulation did allow for the rise in low cost carriers however nowhere do I see a discussion on the costliest part of the business for the airline, the AIRPLANE. as far as Im concerned these plane makers(airbus and Boeing) have a virtual monopoly on the sale of theseplanes.what choices do they have? both are subsidized by the government and yes boeing is subsidized and how fair is that? this means High cost and little to no new innovation. Imagine the power if the airline could build there own plane.

tell me when it was the last time BOEING felt the pain like the rest of the industry in economic cycles and high full cost.Instead they have always benefited from HUGE government contracts and the demand overseas. did the airlines benefit? Just look at how they are crying to congress over a little competition for the TANKER for which they will win

(airbus and Boeing) have a virtual monopoly on the sale of theseplanes.what choices do they have? Imagine the power if the airline could build there own plane.

Okay, I'll bite:

Airline X builds the F100 and soon goes out of business due to high maintenance cost.

Airline Y builds the CV 880 and soon goes out of business due to high fuel cost.

Airline Z builds the BAC 111 and can't meet stage III requirements.

Therefore, only airline A and B remain in business.

Yes, we can blame deregulation.

Guest spoke on CNBC the other day named Wilbur Ross. Said the US needs to "decide what we want to be good at as a country". He's got a good point and aviation is the perfect example. American aircraft manufacturers are the world leaders. Airliners, bizjets, single engine pistons, etc, etc. Everything that flies. We lead in world air cargo, we lead in biz av and in fractionals. Shoot, we invented powered flight! But what do we do with our airlines? Our legacy, flag carrier world wide airlines? We cripple them with deregulation. We used to be world leaders, remember UAL once had a base in Europe. Northwest had operations throughout Asia. But at home, we screw them. So a whole bunch of people who probably don't need to get around the country for less than their own auto's gas? It's BS. We did as much in the housing market and the bubble burst. Lot's of folks that couldn't afford a house got one and now they can't pay for it. We haven't had that sort of correction in aviation, but it might be coming soon. Unfortunately, the only thing forclosed on in the airline business is airline worker prosperity.

It's not just deregulation. The Railway Labor Act has been a wicked master as well. We've suffered equally under these instuments as a means to get the massess cheap airline tickets.

Yes, we can blame deregulation.

Guest spoke on CNBC the oth.....It's not just deregulation. The Railway Labor Act has been a wicked master as well. We've suffered equally under these instuments as a means to get the massess cheap airline tickets.
Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. Re-reg would be good for a few senior pilots not so good for everyone else.

I know that this issue is more complicated than what I pointed out;I dont think we are in complete de-regulation. I believe completely in the power of the free market. with a level playing field a revolutionary will come along with a better product and better service and be able to charge higher prices for that service!

I contend that we cannot totally blame the free-market for what has happened in aviation I.E pilot salaries. De-regulation did allow for the rise in low cost carriers however nowhere do I see a discussion on the costliest part of the business for the airline, the AIRPLANE. as far as Im concerned these plane makers(airbus and Boeing) have a virtual monopoly on the sale of theseplanes.what choices do they have? both are subsidized by the government and yes boeing is subsidized and how fair is that? this means High cost and little to no new innovation. Imagine the power if the airline could build there own plane.

Gee??? Me thinks I would rather be a piluuutt prior to deregulation. Pay, pension, job benefits and relative job security... probably at little better than my current career retirement destiny as a WalMart greeter. Least we have the "free market" and Sarah Palin posters to whack off to now. Of course I'm probably wrong just tune into Fox news and they will prove it.

Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. Re-reg would be good for a few senior pilots not so good for everyone else.
And every single pilot on FI thinks he would be one of the lucky few. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back