Can Someone Shed More Light Here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HighSpeedClimb

I have no thought one way or another, just curious how Airwise got this story and if it has any merit.

Romney Accused of Airline Union Busting
August 16, 2012
An airline controlled by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's Bain Capital ran an illegal campaign to suppress a pilots' union, according to a Financial Times report.

The report quotes US court and federal agency documents which, it said, reveal the unlawful union suppression at Key Airlines in the 1980s.

The newspaper said that Romney and two associates broke the law by their treatment of two pilots who who were dismissed from the company after trying to organize a union.

Bain Capital went on to sell Key Airlines at a large profit two months after a union vote failed according to the FT report.

The report quotes federal judge Roger Foley as writing in 1992: "The anti-union activities in this case are not merely unfair labor practices as Key argues, but blatant, grievous, willful, deliberate and repeated violations of the Railway Labour Act."

Key Airlines was a small charter airline with a contract to ferry personnel to military bases in the Nevada desert.

Airwise

Last edited:
Is anybody really surprised?

It's the pilot political problem- we don't vote for democrats, and republicans don't believe in us.

If you really think that Obama really gives two ********************s about you, me, your union, my union, well then you are the f-ing moron. When the day is done, all's either side cares about is MONEY and your vote. Once they get that, you're a fart in the breeze.

If you really think that Obama really gives two ********************s about you, me, your union, my union, well then you are the f-ing moron. When the day is done, all's either side cares about is MONEY and your vote. Once they get that, you're a fart in the breeze.

Didn't say Obama did, but the republicans really don't.

Pilots who vote republican are f u c k i n g morons. We are labor.

And dumbasses who make such ignorant sweeping generalizations are even BIGGER f'ing morons. Ya' know what I mean?

People vote for candidates that they believe will do the most for them (or at least do them the least harm). You buy that? It seems to be what you're espousing with your "we are labor" rant.

People who make a lot of money and believe it's a result of their hard work (and years of qualifications) generally don't want to increase their taxes, especially when they see them going to things they don't believe in. That goes double for things they see as just pure and simple "wealth redistribution." The president has already promised to raise my taxes specifically, as I fit into his twisted definition of "millionaires and billionaires." Apparently I'm not yet paying my "fair" share, in his opinion. That's also true for every SWA captain who works a more than the minimum, and not just a few of our FOs. His "Affordable Care Act" additionally includes a buttload of new taxes over the next few years, most of which affect the majority of all Americans--and I guaran-damn-tee you, every friggin' pilot in the US--not just us "millionaires and billionaires," who'll additionally get to pay more tax on ordinary income. The catch is, they're just hidden. The media doesn't talk about it.

You seem to prefer Democrats because you think that, as a good union guy, they've got your back. Well, guess again. While it IS true that you're "labor," I hate to be the one to break it to you that all "labor" is not created equal. You're the kind of labor that the left doesn't really care about, other than to tax you. Do you really not see that? Our labor group is too small, and we make too much money, for any politician to lift a finger for our benefit. I'd bet that the majority of airline pilots who vote conservative do so because they believe that whatever miniscule benefit a left-wing president could possibly provide to any airline union, is vastly overshadowed by the negatives: certain tax increases, increased regulation and bureaocrracy, and a more socialized economy in general, none of which we especially want.

Anyway, THAT's why many pilots tend to vote Republican--not because they're morons, but because they make reasoned decisions based on pros and cons. In my opinion, blindly voting Democratic simply because "you're labor" is the moronic move here.

But hey, at least you're an idealistic moron. Good for you.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back