Calling in sick. . .

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LearLove said:
Take it for what its worth, like I said 7 years of 121 flying and I've never used any sick time so what do I know.

7 years without being sick? You either have a hell of an immune system for not having a cold during that period, or you go to work, tough it out, but spread the germs to the rest of us. Between the dirty cockpits and some of the schedules, it's impossible not to get sick sometime. I believe you're the company should look at, not the average person that calls in sick. Heck, call up during the winter when scheduling is short cause one of themselves called in and they couldn't find a replacement. It's normal to use that time, that's what we get it for. I kinda say it's your own fault for not using your 3+ months of time. Were you saving it for something specific? If you have over 100 hrs, it's just a waste. That's a month off if something happens that you can't fly. That's my view.

It would be nice if my company even had reserves so we could get time off. I have no problem using my "user time" for anything I want. I have earned it by working, so I have upheld my end of the deal. They way I figure, my time off has been bought and paid for and I will use it as I please. The latest thing to chap my a-- is having NO reserves at my domicile which makes everybody's life miserable. It gets to the point where I enjoy turning down crew "support" when they ask for a junior man - it is sad that it has come down to that

MEL'ed said:
7 years without being sick? You either have a hell of an immune system for not having a cold during that period, or you go to work, tough it out, but spread the germs to the rest of us. Between the dirty cockpits and some of the schedules, it's impossible not to get sick sometime. I believe you're the company should look at, not the average person that calls in sick. Heck, call up during the winter when scheduling is short cause one of themselves called in and they couldn't find a replacement. It's normal to use that time, that's what we get it for. I kinda say it's your own fault for not using your 3+ months of time. Were you saving it for something specific? If you have over 100 hrs, it's just a waste. That's a month off if something happens that you can't fly. That's my view.

Yep I knew someone was going to mouth off at me for saying this. Yes I have a good immune system - apparently it runs in the strong in us Pennsylvania Dutch, however I have been sick twice in past 7 years. The first time was at the end of the 2000 calender year when I had the last 13 days off because I timed out for the year. The second time I was sick was when I had 6 weeks off between ground school and sim when I went to MidAtlantic - not very good luck with timing on my part.

While I agree with you on the 100 hours thing for a month buffer I'd like to have about 4 to 6 months saved incase I bust my leg mountain biking or skiing - 2 sport I do alot now adays. What if I loose my medical? It take atleast 6 months to get one back, I'd like to be covered until long term dis kicks in.

Another example - last year my mother had to have surgery which required her to miss work for 3 months for recovery after wards. She is a nurse and unlike her coworkers doen't burn her sick time. She was able to have surgery and collect a normal paycheck while she recovered without missing a any pay. That seems like a good piece of mind to me.

LearLove said:
Yes I have a good immune system - apparently it runs in the strong in us Pennsylvania Dutch.

Its the Yeungling superchief!

Many carriers believe you should bank sick time for "short term disability"

Latest resources

Back