Calling in sick. . .

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

check6

Who has called in sick and then jumpseated somewhere? I know it would not be smart to jumpseat on your own company, but what about other carriers, especially if they access the CASS system to verify your identity? Do companies check the CASS system to see which of their employees has used the system?

I'm asking because at my company, they say they can see anyone of our employees jumpseating on other carriers. Other pilots say they cannot.

samballs said:
It is my understanding that they can see you, no matter if its on company or not

Are you speaking in terms of CASS airlines?

I had tickets to see Jimmy Buffett a while back (location withheld to protect the guilty) and instead of doing 1 leg on mainline to get home I did a 2 legger on Indy through IAD. Other than a trip involving CASS (possibly? I'm not very familiar with it) I don't see how your company could "see you" on another, unaffiliated, airline.

Hey I know, instead of abusing the system and Fing it up for all of us, do your job and call in sick when you are sick. When your not sick trip trade or fly. Now I understand why airlines have such strict policies about being sick and getting doctors notes.... Good job guy.

check6 said:
Who has called in sick and then jumpseated somewhere? I know it would not be smart to jumpseat on your own company, but what about other carriers, especially if they access the CASS system to verify your identity? Do companies check the CASS system to see which of their employees has used the system?

I'm asking because at my company, they say they can see anyone of our employees jumpseating on other carriers. Other pilots say they cannot.

I haven't called in sick in 7 years but from what I know its not a problem to call in sick then nonrev. Maybe your doctor is in that city. Maybe your going to rest to get better with relatives in the city your nonreving to. It is none of their bizz. All they can do is ask for a doctors note which are easy to get anyway.

Take it for what its worth, like I said 7 years of 121 flying and I've never used any sick time so what do I know.

Yeah don't abuse the system because they NEVER abuse us! Get real prop2jet...when my company stops extending us and junior manning us (basically the same as us calling in sick) then I'll play by the rules. Until then...

Prop2Jet said:
Hey I know, instead of abusing the system and Fing it up for all of us, do your job and call in sick when you are sick. When your not sick trip trade or fly. Now I understand why airlines have such strict policies about being sick and getting doctors notes.... Good job guy.

Yeah well you'd have a diff view if you lost 260 hours of sick time. This is what happened to me when i went from ALG to MDA. They told us our banks would transfer then the first week of e170 class they changed their minds. 260/75=3.5 months of pay if i got sick or busted my leg or something.

Supposedly all my sick time from MDA is froze in an account if I return to the 190 - guess we will see.

I definately wouldn't nonrev on your own company or mainline after calling in sick. I would just buy a full fare ticket or go on another airline if you really want to go somewhere.

Prop2Jet said:

Give me a break...thats the beauty of the whole occurance policy.

ouch that sucks lear.

Hey PooPoopants, did you ever stop to think that maybe it is not such a good idea to abuse the system? Just because they abuse you does not mean you abuse them. it is not one eye for an eye. The work rules are in place to get "it done" and if you are this type of guy that does not follow the rules you make it harder on all of us.
You signed up for the job no matter what it may be and you should follow the rules. It is easy just like 3rd grade....just remember to color inside the lines.

Latest resources

Back