• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling in sick. . .

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, if I played by the rules I'd be paying them to work as oppossed to fighting for a fair contract. It's sad but it's true. And about 95% of the pilots at my company at least feel the same way. I'm sorry, 92%!

Prop2Jet said:
Hey I know, instead of abusing the system and Fing it up for all of us, do your job and call in sick when you are sick. When your not sick trip trade or fly. Now I understand why airlines have such strict policies about being sick and getting doctors notes.... Good job guy.

Oh, now you went and hurt my feelings! :crying:

Most every other job has a reasonable way to get a day off if you want or need one but where I work you need an act of God and permission of a Chief Pilot, neither of which is readily available. I tried doing it by the book several times when I was a new hire and I got burned each time. Well, no more. I was able to get a day off from my last job to get a new medical for my current job so I do realize that the "up front and honest" approach can and does work at some places. Unfortunately I don't work at one of those places.

I rarely call in sick and am nowhere near the folks who have calling in sick down to a science so I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over calling in sick if I need to.

Man, that sucks you guys. I have never ran into this problem,,,,yet. Pants, I am sorry your company does not help you out. Check out other operations, maybe one will be a better fit.

I had a buddy at PDT that was granted by the C.P. days off for his wedding three months prior to the date, and when the December schedules came out, lo and behold, he was scheduled to work. Do you think they gave him those days off...hell no he had to call in sick for his own damn wedding...Until magmt. starts treating us as individuals with normal lives, then I say abuse away. That is why companies have reserve pilots!!! As far as nonreving while calling in sick, I do it all the time. Just not on your mainline affiliate.

Prop2Jet said:
Man, that sucks you guys. I have never ran into this problem,,,,yet. Pants, I am sorry your company does not help you out. Check out other operations, maybe one will be a better fit.

Alright...I gotta know. It seems like you have been around the block a few times without getting stomped on by your company. I used to think the way you did until working here the past 8 years. Now I f... them any way I can and not give 2 sh... about it. I should be oughta here next month though.

What company do you work for?

Prop2Jet said:

Our company recently did not allow a FA a day off (unpaid at her request) to attend the wedding of her daughter. She was on probation, so she came out and flew. That is not right. If they wish to treat the employees right, then maybe the employees won't "abuse" the sick policy.

Prop2Jet said:
Hey I know, instead of abusing the system and Fing it up for all of us, do your job and call in sick when you are sick. When your not sick trip trade or fly. Now I understand why airlines have such strict policies about being sick and getting doctors notes.... Good job guy.

Hey I know, if the company would do the right thing and let you use your accrued time for PTO days, and would let you off for your wedding, funerals, kids graduations, etc when there is plenty of man power, the system wouldn't get abused.

I know a guy whose car broke down on the way to work and the CP told him to call in sick because he didn't want to call SKD to pull him off the trip.

There is also a guy here who managed to bid his wedding off but couldn't be there for the rehearsal.

There is a guy here who couldn't get SKD to let him go to his grandfather's funeral, even though that's covered under bereavemant leave in our contract.

But let's all pull together for the Sky Team when they want concessions or relief from the contract. Or want us to cover everyone elses rear end when things are falling apart. It would be nice if this was the kind of place where you were encouraged to do the right thing and could count on the company to do good by you, but it isn't. The employees didn't create the environment, they just try to get by in it.

Prop2Jet said:
Occurance policy?

Yes, occurance policy, attendance policy, etc...Same thing. You're allowed to "call in sick" so many times in a rolling 12 month period. At least thats how it is at my company. It doesn't matter if you're sick or not. You are given these days to use as time off, so for God's sake, USE THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO WORK. You're not f*cking anyone by "calling in sick". There is a reason for having a reserve stash of pilots on call.

Btw, I DO NOT feel sorry for Scheduling or the Company when calling in sick. It is their job to take care of their employees not the other way around. Even if I was getting paid worth a d@mn I still wouldn't feel bad about calling in...My opinion...

FirstMate said:
Yes, occurance policy, attendance policy, etc...Same thing. You're allowed to "call in sick" so many times in a rolling 12 month period. At least thats how it is at my company. It doesn't matter if you're sick or not. You are given these days to use as time off, so for God's sake, USE THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO WORK. You're not f*cking anyone by "calling in sick". There is a reason for having a reserve stash of pilots on call.

Btw, I DO NOT feel sorry for Scheduling or the Company when calling in sick. It is their job to take care of their employees not the other way around. Even if I was getting paid worth a d@mn I still wouldn't feel bad about calling in...My opinion...

I agree, somedays you just need a day off.

Prop2jet-

You sound like a perfect candidate for Assisstant Chief Pilot.

The reason why sick policy is so heavily enforced is because they are the only trump card pilots have. Now companies like jB and SWA that are more employee friendly are different stories. Stuffy old school management types simply can't stand that pilots can call in sick and not show up to work. I've even seen CEO's take an interests.... Also, when a pilot doesn't show it messes up Corp America's low staffing model and cancels flights. When a cubical worker doesn't show, the work just gets done the next day.

It is a vicious cycle with managment not taking the lead. However, like other posters have said, I've seen pilots/FA's not get the time off to do life events like: weddings, funerals, house closings, medical appointments, etc...

This is CorpAmerica for you.... Vote Early, Vote Often, Vote Republican...who knows.. there is a slim chance you may be rich one day too!! ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back