Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TIS

Wing, Nosewheel, Whatever
As many of you are aware, in the waning days of his administration, California's ousted governor, Gray Davis, tried several desperate measures (in vain) to curry the favor of potential voters.

One of these measures was the signing into law of a bill that gives illegal aliens the right to apply for and receive a California Drivers License.

Governor elect Arnold Schwarzenegger has begun to indicate that he might be persuaded to keep the law in effect provided adequate background checks could be performed. His election seems as though it will not help in the eradication of this new law.

There are many reasons to oppose this law including, but not limited to, the following:

1. A foreign Drivers License IS considered to be proof of competence to operate a motor vehicle in the state of California. A California license is therefore not necessary for a Mexican National, for example, to possess in order to operate a motor vehicle within the state’s borders.

2. A California Drivers License is considered in all of the 50 states, U.S Territories and protectorates, and indeed in many foreign nations, to be valid, stand-alone proof of identification for any individual who possesses one. The reason for this is that current law requires proof of birth date and legal presence in the U.S. as well as a Social Security Number in order to obtain this license. Negating these requirements destroys the foundation of trust that others rightfully place in the document and puts the credibility of California-issued documentation at risk.

3. When a person applies for a Drivers License in California they are AUTOMATICALLY offered the opportunity to register to vote – simply by checking a box on their application. It is not a stretch to consider that a person who would break this country’s laws to come here illegally would also break its laws relating to the most fundamental right of citizenship by checking that box.

4. Whether you support governmental advocacy for illegal immigrants or not, this law is a bad law because it permits, and even INVITES, without recourse, fraud on a massive scale in a number of VERY critical areas.

If you are a (LEGAL) voter in the state of California and oppose the issuance of Drivers Licenses to illegal aliens you should know that a petition to repeal this law has begun circulating.

You may not have heard about the movement growing to repeal this law yet but you’re hearing it now. You can obtain a copy of the petition by going to the following website:

www.saveourlicense.com

The petition itself cannot be downloaded because the language of the bill it seeks to repeal is too lengthy, so they will mail it to you.

The more than 70% of Californians who oppose this law have until December 7, 2003 to collect 400,000 signatures to place the repeal referendum on the March 2004 ballot.

Now, to those of you who feel that this has no bearing on aviation consider this; the FAA requires that designated examiners confirm the identity of applicants to whom they administer practical tests with photo ID. A driver’s license has fulfilled this requirement before now but may soon no longer suffice. What then will be the accepted form of identification for California residents, or for the residents of a number of other states that already permit illegal immigrants to obtain legal identification despite their illegal presence in our country? A newly issued National Identity Card?

This IS worth nipping in the bud BEFORE the feds start getting fancy ideas about how to take care of it.

TIS

I know it's boring

But it's serious for those of us in California.

The mainstream media will not cover this story because it's not politically correct to do so. They didn't think the recall effort mounted against Gray Davis was worth reporting either but it turned out to be worth their while.

People who are interested in correcting Gray Davis' final mistakes as Governor of California should know that they now can.

That's all I want to promote.

TIS

Don't promote it here.

Regardless of your political inclination, I find your bashing of Governor Davis offensive.

I spent alot of time flying the governor these past few months. He is a very nice, gentle and sincere man. Sure, he doesn't come across that way in the media. But I feel he's been bashed enough. You won your recall. Now please, start being human and leave the guy alone.

Moderators willing...

...I'll promote it here, thank you very much.

There's a reason he's been tossed and it's not because he's a nice guy. And just for the record, a startling number of his former staffers would take exception to your chracterization of him as "gentle."

Besides all that, this really ISN'T about Davis anyway even though he's the root cause of it. This is about preserving a nation founded on laws - laws that were origninally conceived to prevent governmental abuses and double standards such as we see in this piece of legislation.

To relate this once again, to aviation, did you know that Mohammed Atta was detained in Florida for something like 36 hours on a traffic stop because HE HAD NO DRIVER'S LICENSE????? The Florida cops may not have known what to do with the likes of him them but you can be sure that a foreigner with no proper driving credentials will raise more than a few eyebrows now.

No English, I'm gonna promote this as much as I'm allowed to because I don't want people who shouldn't be here to be able to take advantage of the stupidity of the majority of the population and the leaders they elect to represent and lead them. I'd really rather that people who mean us harm (and others) not be able to create a false identity through fraud as easily as my kids can buy gumballs from a grocery store machine, and I sure as H_LL don't want them voting here.

TIS

Well, I'm not a Californian, but I'll read anything TIS posts.

TIS, forget about the detractors. I'm glad you took the time to post this, if for no other reason than letting us know that liberal Republicans must be avoided just like liberal Democratics. What's Arnold thinking?

regards,
enigma

Gray Davis

English,
Nice guy? Oh well, then. That changes everything.
Eva Braun thought Adolf was nice, too, no doubt. Totally irrelevant.

Besides, the rest of the country is sick and tired of helping clean up the social and economic problems that California's politics creates. This driver's license idea is yet another example of the stupidity that goes on out there. Remember Ebonics class?

Archie Bunker said it best. "California, where the fruits are nuts and the nuts are fruits."

My only point is that I think genuine political discourse should include debate of the issues, not bashing of INDIVIDUALS. Go ahead and say you don't like Davis' stand on licensing of illegal immigrants, say you don't like the domestic partner initiative, say anything you want about the economy of California. I'm just personally tired of personal attacks on people in public places such as this. Call me naive, but I don't think it's very nice to say mean things about people. I think it's better to discuss the issues.

This isn't about Davis being "nice", or any other comment I made. This is about people reading hurtful things being written about them personally and being hurt. That's what I was trying to relay in my post. Now, I know many of you will come back and state that he deserves the treatment because of what happened to California under his administration, or that because he's in a public position he deserves the scrutiny and criticism. I don't agree. I think criticism of his decisions is fine, even great...we are all entitled to our opinions. But nowhere is it written that we are entitled to ruin a man and his reputation because he made decisions we didn't like. The proper fix is to vote another governor into office. That's done.

So please, debate the issues (if you really must on an aviation forum) but don't make it a personal attack.

Latest resources

Back