CAL upgrade time.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jtslc

Airlinepilotcentral.com says that the most junior captain at CAL was hired Jan 1998. Is this accurate? Will it take 7 years to make captain at CAL?

Thanks,
J

Jan '98 is correct. Will it take 7yrs to make CA? Well sorry I don't have the link to retirements, but with things in flux like they are, it's a fair guess that many are living over the next 3 years.

But of course anything can change, I was hired in '87, and they were telling us 7 years then; "Ha", it took 14.

But as a educated guess, sure 7 to 9 years to Jr Captain is a good bet.

Upgrade shmupgrade. I'd be just as happy as a 777 FO. I hear that can be awarded in less than a year!!!!!

Waiting (praying, sacrificing small animals -- but not eating them, I'm a vegetarian) for the call.

Does anyone have any insight as to how many LOR's is enough?

jtslc said:
Airlinepilotcentral.com says that the most junior captain at CAL was hired Jan 1998. Is this accurate? Will it take 7 years to make captain at CAL?

Thanks,
J

interesting font...........is that a Commodore 64?

there are approximately 1550 retirements in the next 30 months. so I would expect upgrades to all equipment to move quickly

FWIW I came over in early april so......... total FNG. I am currently holding EWR 777 Fo on the last bid and currenlty getting a conversion line on the 737. (1.5 months on reserve) One of our FO's wrote a program called senority visualizer that analizes (sic) the bid results and senority list and ESTIMATES what you will hold and when... it says I can hold EWR 737 CA in July '08.

Retirements:

2005: 161
2006: 249
2007: 322
2008: 246
2009: 218
2010: 210
2011: 220
2012: 217
2013: 194
2014: 201
2015: 167
2016: 192
2017: 182
2018: 179
2019: 149
2020: 145

This is a bit dated... it doesn't show the recent early retirements that have happened (some as early as 4 to 5 years!). There's been a scare about losing the "lump sum" option at retirement, causing quite a few guys to retire early.

I'm a Feb. 1998 hire - there's a guy that was in my new-hire class holding captain in EWR now...

FWIW folks, don't get too hung up on what it takes to be a captain. There are guys junior to me who are captain here, but would I trade with them? Hell no. Commuting to reserve in NYC, sitting in some shi*ty crash pad and getting stuck with crappy trips? I would worry more about what it takes to be a line holding captain, or at least hold captain anywhere but NYC/EWR.

How does the 1550 retirements in the next 30 months statement equal the retirement tables that I have seen and that are posted all over the web. I think you guys are being a little too optimistic. Things can change, especially if a merger comes down the pipe for us. I wouldn't get my hopes of upgrading before 7 to 8 years and that is if everything keeps going well.

Latest resources

Back