• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL to install "live TV"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
great. CAL seems to be running out of ways to spend the $2 billion dollars they've stuck in the bank since the 2005 signing of the pilot concessionary contract.

liveTv is great. but how about insurance for newhires?

let's fix this place...

Yeah, we can't even get SATCOM higher than 84N so I think satellite TV would be a stretch (not to mention over the rest of the world). If I remember correctly even JB losses signal on routes to San Juan so they offer movies on demand (probably stored on a hard drive).

You are correct. The signal is lost when you get offshore about 100 miles or so. JetBlue then gives free movies that are on a hard drive. I think this deal was for the domestic fleet at CAL. I doubt they will install it on the international fleet. LiveTV also has the "cashless cabin" technology which all airlines would love to have. LiveTV is also a seperate company within JetBlue Holdings and will most likely be spun off to generate cashflow. Now that they have a large deal with CAL the value of that company is much larger and shareholders will want that value to be realized.

The real irony is that yeah... the deal is with a subsidiary or JetBlue and I am sure it costs a pretty penny but now JetBlue's service advantage over CAL is gone... I wonder how it may effect JetBlue's airline business.

The real irony is that yeah... the deal is with a subsidiary or JetBlue and I am sure it costs a pretty penny but now JetBlue's service advantage over CAL is gone... I wonder how it may effect JetBlue's airline business.
CAL is the premier network carrier in the US, and has received travel awards as the #1 Legacy carrier within the US. This will only enhance their service, but it's not gonna put a hurt'n on B6.

CAL seeks to protect it's numero uno rating, and to keep the WN's, Jetblue's, Virgin America's of the world from dipping into their very lucrative business travelers revenue. WN has placed their bet on IFE with a "full service internet" option that is certain to attract a few new customers. VA and B6 respectively offer the finest IFE's in the marketplace today. So it's all a matter of protecting what you've got.

:pimp:

Got to hand it to JetBlue. They own the market on "live tv". As hard as it probably was for Larry and company to make this deal, it needed to be done, especially the internet. Looks like it will initially only be on the 737NG's as well as just the 757-300's we fly domestically.

We don't use Live TV at Delta, rather one owned by Matsushista (sp?). It's a good system, with plenty of games also for pax. It is currently installed on most of our 757s, and will be installed on most planes flying over 1700NM legs, including 737NGs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

We don't use Live TV at Delta, rather one owned by Matsushista (sp?). It's a good system, with plenty of games also for pax. It is currently installed on most of our 757s, and will be installed on most planes flying over 1700NM legs, including 737NGs.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Actually, Matsu********************a (interesting the system won't let me spell it out as it has the letters for poop in it):D is the large holding company that owns Panasonic. The IFE division was changed to Panasonic Avionics Corp a while back. They are the largest IFE provider in the world. I believe VX has their top of the line Red System, and I'm sure they were in the bidding for the CAL contract. Interesting that CAL chose to go with B6. Like I said, they probably got a sweetheart deal.

:pimp:​

This means no more uplinking sports scores every 15 mins. The pax can pay and the pilots can ask the back. It's a win-win.

Buried in this mornings "newswire" on Jetblue's Q results, was the little ditty that "Live TV" has signed a longterm deal with CAL to install and service their entertainment equipment on 737 and and 757 a/c. It doesn't specify whether it's TV or not, as I think FL has a deal just for the satellite radio.

This is rather surprising, as Legacy carriers have done their best to stay away from giving any revenue to JBLU. DL went in another direction, and all the other Legacy's have turned their nose's up with any type of live TV. It should also be noted that a poll recently said that "internet" service is not a high priority to travelers....mmmm.

If it's TV, this deal may pressure other carriers to fall in line, thus meaning more revenue for JBLU and companies that offer similar IFE.

:pimp:​

LiveTV -- Continental Airlines Agreement

LiveTV, a wholly owned subsidiary of JetBlue, announced today that it has entered into a long-term agreement with Continental Airlines to install and service its inflight entertainment system on Continental's new generation Boeing 737 and 757-300 aircraft. LiveTV has provided live television programming and other services to JetBlue since its inception. LiveTV also serves seven other airlines around the world with its inflight entertainment products, including DIRECTV-based live television programming and XM Satellite Radio, and wireless services, including a handheld platform for in-cabin sales.

Nothing againist JB guys but probably only a matter of time before they sell off "live TV" as well...Only time will tell.
Out,
KBB

Latest resources

Back