• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL to furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just had a line check which I passed with flying colors as usual!! :) and the check airman said that he heard that CAL is going to furlough back to late 06 hires or early 07 hires.

Furlough's are no laughing matter and I think I speak for most XJT pilots that we wish the junior CAL pilots the best of luck in the months to come even though they never stand up for us here.

It's ironic that if I went to CAL I would be gettng furoughed, but instead I will be a Captain at Skywest probably.

I think it is pretty obvious that those of us that stayed at XJT made the right choice. Wow, but who ever can predict these things?

Looks like I kida did though, now if I could just predict the lottery numbers... LOL

The best way to get the old guys out fast is to stop funding their retirement with our money. 1/3 of the pilot group is paying for a retirement we'll never see. STOP FUNDING THE A FUND! That is what I want to see on the next contract.

Extended my career? How about I fly airplanes so I can live my life. Not I live my life so I can fly airplanes. I know too many of you aviation dorks. If I won a couple of mil. today I would be gone...Next thing that you old crusties are going to want is life support in the a/c. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my job more than most, its still a job.

Well, you're in the minority if you look at how many pilots fight to get their medicals back when LTD could cover alot of their expenses while they develop the career they've always dreamed of.

Have you ever been furloughed? Did you make any attempt to stay in aviation, or did you become a zillionaire hedge fund manager and only return when the airline begged and pleaded with you?

It sounds to me like this whole thing came pretty easy to you and that's why you hold it in such low regard. Maybe the guys that came before you are the ones who have faced multiple furloughs, an airline or two shutting it's doors, a bankruptcy judge who decided that the retention bonuses to failing managers was worth more than your pension. Maybe they went on strike while still facing house payments and college tuition bills, but struck just the same and that's why your paycheck is 6 digits.

All those who claim that this airline thing cramps your style should really put their energies into what profits them most and Age65 will be irrelevant.

The best way to get the old guys out fast is to stop funding their retirement with our money. 1/3 of the pilot group is paying for a retirement we'll never see. STOP FUNDING THE A FUND! That is what I want to see on the next contract.

No the age 60 plus guys will work for free. They don't have a life and don't fly for money but fun.

If you believe that I have some oceanfront property for sale in Arizona.

I just had a line check which I passed with flying colors as usual!! :) and the check airman said that he heard that CAL is going to furlough back to late 06 hires or early 07 hires.

Furlough's are no laughing matter and I think I speak for most XJT pilots that we wish the junior CAL pilots the best of luck in the months to come even though they never stand up for us here.

It's ironic that if I went to CAL I would be gettng furoughed, but instead I will be a Captain at Skywest probably.

I think it is pretty obvious that those of us that stayed at XJT made the right choice. Wow, but who ever can predict these things?

Looks like I kida did though, now if I could just predict the lottery numbers... LOL

A Colgan check airman told me all the CAL furloughs were going to be offerred captain positions at emirates.

Extended my career? How about I fly airplanes so I can live my life. Not I live my life so I can fly airplanes. I know too many of you aviation dorks. If I won a couple of mil. today I would be gone...Next thing that you old crusties are going to want is life support in the a/c. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my job more than most, its still a job.

of course, you're not an aviation dork........always someone else, eh? :rolleyes:

lots of people that are too cool for flying anymore.

go work in a cubicle & report back.

If things get that bad, those little jets wont be flying around much longer either, less mainline means less feed. That little RJ expansion after 9/11 wont happen this time, this will be the final shakeout of this industry

Well, you're in the minority if you look at how many pilots fight to get their medicals back when LTD could cover alot of their expenses while they develop the career they've always dreamed of.

Have you ever been furloughed? Did you make any attempt to stay in aviation, or did you become a zillionaire hedge fund manager and only return when the airline begged and pleaded with you?

It sounds to me like this whole thing came pretty easy to you and that's why you hold it in such low regard. Maybe the guys that came before you are the ones who have faced multiple furloughs, an airline or two shutting it's doors, a bankruptcy judge who decided that the retention bonuses to failing managers was worth more than your pension. Maybe they went on strike while still facing house payments and college tuition bills, but struck just the same and that's why your paycheck is 6 digits.

All those who claim that this airline thing cramps your style should really put their energies into what profits them most and Age65 will be irrelevant.

There are plenty as well who's discilpline and dedication to this profession is such that they know it's a wonderful thing to get to see others take a turn. Throughout the adversities of their careers they stayed relevant and extraordinarily prepared for what would come next. No retirement age limit will work for any of us unless we start to emulate these type pilots. If this profession had never seen the first pilot like you, it never would have seen the second! Get your crap together pal because you will have to retire someday!! We don't want to hear you whine or gloat about retiremnt age on a thread that is supposed to deal with furloughs!! Maybe the moderators could put together a new forum for guys like you: Scabs and scab wannabes!! Then we can talk of saving furoughs without your useless input.

CAL guys: Call your reps! There is an effort to put together a nice early retirement package by the union and the company (among many other things). Lot's of older pilots would be interested in it if it's good enough.

I love it when you young studs bitch about Age 65.

Sorry, if you think you have a right to my left seat.

You don't.

Get over yourselves.

Gear up!

How is it YOUR seat?

If we go with that mentality, you took it from the Captains who retired before you.

Here's a fact: Every day you get older. You don't have a right to fly forever and you'll be out the door soon enough.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:
I love it when you young studs bitch about Age 65.

Sorry, if you think you have a right to my left seat.

You don't.

Get over yourselves.

Gear up!

Hey, the older generation got lucky with a new rule change. If you want to get angry, start with the law makers. I see both sides of he argument. Everyone in this industry took pay cuts over the last 7 seven years. To take a financial hit at age 55 is much harder to recover from than age 30.

No body has a right to a seat, whether left or right. It's based on when you get hired. You upgraded when someone vacated that seat. Just remember there Capt Senior, those "young studs" out number your generation. When contract voting time comes around they might have that same "me first" attitude and be willing vote on changes to that A fund (which they don't have) you're probably hoping won't change.

What goes around usually comes around and karma can be real biatch.

Latest resources

Back