• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL to furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
anyone know how far back 200 furloghs would go...date of hire.

I have a few friends there hired in the last year to year and a half........hope they are OK

I can't access the online seniority list right now but 200 furloughs would go back about 6 to 8 months.

IF, the 54 aircraft parked in the fall doesn't include aircraft reductions allready accounted for in the Jan bid there MIGHT be a reduction. The last bid (Jan 08) had 205 vacancies for new hires. I don't think we've hired near that many pilots since then and that bid accounted for some aircraft reductions.

Age 65 extended YOUR career 5 years, too, slick. Of course, you seem to be strictly worried about your upgrade.

Gear up, sonny.

Gee, who do I thank for the privilege of working to 65 now? Anyone who makes it to 60 and still wants any part of this industry has a giant hole in their head and is not fit to fly anyway! All we need is our earning power of the 1990s back and there is no reason we can't plan for a 60 retirement.

Yawn! Yes the shroud of doom and gloom has descended. The training department guys are hearing things! :eek:

Why stop at 500! Tell them the one about 800 furloughs that some scabby capt told me last week!

Why worry about it. You've got such a great deal to go fly COPA.

Overheard from the 756 fleet manager: Worst case scenario for the July bid (worst case meaning no COLAs or early outs): Everyone hired in the last year furloughed (about 250 or so).

Impression was that was a very fluid statement (I don't think anyone really knows for sure what's going on). I wouldn't hold it as a firm number by any means.

I have to point out, though. We were supposed to have 250-300 retirements this year at CAL. How fitting they're toying with the idea of furloughing the same number.

Over 60 guys, make sure you at least buy your FO dinner before he gets the ax. It's the least you could do.

Age 65 extended YOUR career 5 years, too, slick. Of course, you seem to be strictly worried about your upgrade.

Gear up, sonny.

This thread is about [possible] furloughs, not upgrades. There's a significant difference. Although I'm sure it doesn't matter to you.

I am in training at CAL right now.

Every time I get a V1 cut and crash the sim off the jacks, my instructor says,"F*#K!" and then he has to "throw around" numbers like V2 and V2+15 because I am too hungover to remember what to do next if I can ever get the plane under control when he fails one.

So, yeah lots of "F" words and numbers being thrown around where I am coming from.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Can't you do a V1 cut?

Can't you do a V1 cut?
of course he can, but didn`t you read, he was too HUNG OVER. sounds reasonable to me.

Ben, don`t seat it, everyone says F%ck here and V1 cut, it is cake with three engines, plus we are at 9 month upgrades.

Gear up, sonny.

Extended my career? How about I fly airplanes so I can live my life. Not I live my life so I can fly airplanes. I know too many of you aviation dorks. If I won a couple of mil. today I would be gone...Next thing that you old crusties are going to want is life support in the a/c. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my job more than most, its still a job.

Last edited:
This thread is about [possible] furloughs, not upgrades. There's a significant difference. Although I'm sure it doesn't matter to you.

precisely.

potentially thousands of pilots could hit the street while others get to add to their stash due to a recent age change.

i don't like that. you won't sway my opinion on it. call me 'sonny' or whatever other derogatory and childish name that you wish. i don't need to hear about paying dues either. i've been thru plenty and have plenty more to add as time goes by. i'm aware.

i could care less about flying to age 65. frankly i think i'll barely be able to tolerate going to age 60. but i don't need much to enjoy life. i'll find something else to fulfill my needs.

i hope ALPA National aggressively provides for the large number of furloughs that will result from this latest downturn. i will vote for anything to provide for those on the street while i still have a job and a vote as a union member.

Latest resources

Back