• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal System Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You all complain too much.. This is the airline business, if you don't like it then quit.

You all complain too much.. This is the airline business, if you don't like it then quit.

SFR, you are a true class act!!! People will be on the street having to fend for their families, and that is what you have to say. Hope you never have to fend for your family (That is IF they still claim to be related to you!!!) Hope you never have to jerk gear for me someday...

Yogi

Ah, the airline industry. One day your a Captain, the next you are back to being a First. One day you're a First, the next day you are back on the street. This cycle has repeated for years, you pray it doesn't hit you, but be prepared if it does.

Good luck to those heading out the door, I have flown with several of them, nice guys. Some a little "entitled" (Gen Y?), most not. Just people wanting to fly the big jets. It's a good job, not as good as it used to be, but still good.

Hopefully you will all be back soon.
Good luck!

Ah, the airline industry. One day your a Captain, the next you are back to being a First. One day you're a First, the next day you are back on the street. This cycle has repeated for years, you pray it doesn't hit you, but be prepared if it does.

Good luck to those heading out the door, I have flown with several of them, nice guys. Some a little "entitled" (Gen Y?), most not. Just people wanting to fly the big jets. It's a good job, not as good as it used to be, but still good.

Hopefully you will all be back soon.
Good luck!

Lets not get into entitlement with the generation crap. Remember the biggest group that thinks they are entitled is the baby boomers. Age 65 comes to mind.

Lets not get into entitlement with the generation crap. Remember the biggest group that thinks they are entitled is the baby boomers. Age 65 comes to mind.

The biggest group that thinks they are entilted are the scabs. After all they did save the airline in´83

SFR, you are a true class act!!! People will be on the street having to fend for their families, and that is what you have to say. Hope you never have to fend for your family (That is IF they still claim to be related to you!!!) Hope you never have to jerk gear for me someday...

Yogi

Yogi, I always have to fend for my family. It is called being proactive.

Trust me, if CAL goes belly up I am done flying. I never understand why people hop from airline job to airline job....there are other things to do that will pay you enough so you can buy a plane.

Also, to let you know. Scheduling tried to roll my days off last week for a Newark trip. I told them I was sick and would not do it, but I would finish my current trip. They said " if you are sick how can you fly your current trip?" I said (honestly) "I am sick of hearing about furloughs when you can't even cover your trips now".......still waiting for the chief pilot to call, but I don't give a shizam...why, because I can quit anytime and be happy and they know that. They leave me alone.

Dont give them the power, you have to take it!!!

As one of the 148, I am very disappointed at CAL. I have always approached work with a positive attitude and to go do whatever was needed to make things work. I have always considered myself as a team player, willing to go to the max when asked. The company asked me to fly to the max this summer to help them and I timed out every month with no complaints. Now before people go crazy that was the standard 90 something hour line that they gave everyone, plus multi reassignments and one junior manning. No complaints, I just did it because they said it would help the company. Now I assumed the company meant me also but I guess not. CAL dropped the ball on this one. The 148 of us make up what percentage of the payroll? What percentage of revenue? The answer is not much. Plain and simple, when the company needed me this summer I stepped up and when I need them now they disappeared. CAL could have saved a lot of money on payroll these next two years if they had offered a real retirement package. Of the 150 that accepted the current early retirement about half had their intent to retire letters already in and I bet the other half was already thinking about it. If they had offered $100,000 a year for two years CAL would still have made out like bandits. The retirement pay plus my $30,000 a year would still be less then the $200 grand they are going to have to pay these guys now that they are staying. That’s $70,000 per person per year they could have saved. The people that they got were already going. I’m sure that everyone has heard about the parking spot in Jacksonville. But that is a different topic about the nobility class in the USA. The company views this as a loss of 148 bodies but I think they also lost 148 minds, hearts and souls. Now I have had a few beers so the grammar may be off but the message should be clear.

Spot on. Sorry they can't see that. We'll try and make this a better place to come back to. If I had any other options around I'd have taken a COLA.

No freaking sh!t. Nothing funnier then getting the Gen Y lecture from some four stripper with two divorces and a boat, but needing a few more years to afford retirement. Scares the bejesus out of me that Boomers will be running the AARP within 10 years...

Latest resources

Back