• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal System Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know this question is a little stupid, however I will ask anyway ....

Does anyone think this amount of furloughs ( whatever the end number may be ) is the total ? or will there be more in subsequent months?

How long are they expecting to be on the street?

When they get called back...and hiring resumes, will they have the same person in charge or that will be TBD at the time.

Thanks for your ideas ( I understand its only opinion )

I just can't see how they could furlough more than the 148 with staffing the way it is. I was called today for JM'ing and I have my framed furlough letter already. Personally, I'm cool with the furlough. I have work lined up and I'm looking for a break. I think there will be only one furlough and the unofficial word is that it will last somewhere in the 18 month range.......?? I don't think anything is concrete at this point.

I have a close buddy that works there, and he doesn't think the furlough will last long at all. He's betting that everyone will be called back by spring or summer of next year at the latest and they will be hiring again next fall. We'll see though. Only reason they're even furloughing is age 65.

Is the parking of the classic 737s part of the reason for furlough?

Or are the deliveries of Boeings offsetting that?

I actually think the furlough will be shorter then expected also.

I wonder if the recruiting department will be the same people or a new bunch?

I have a close buddy that works there, and he doesn't think the furlough will last long at all. He's betting that everyone will be called back by spring or summer of next year at the latest and they will be hiring again next fall. We'll see though. Only reason they're even furloughing is age 65.

Let's make one thing clear: Age 65 hasn't got a da*&ed thing to do with this. Our wonderful co-workers (the ones with the 7 figure salaries) are playing hardball contract negotiations.
I for one look upon this furlough as the honorable way out of a HUGE mistake and am actually looking forward to it. No, I won't be coming back.

Let's make one thing clear: Age 65 hasn't got a da*&ed thing to do with this. Our wonderful co-workers (the ones with the 7 figure salaries) are playing hardball contract negotiations.
I for one look upon this furlough as the honorable way out of a HUGE mistake and am actually looking forward to it. No, I won't be coming back.

I hate to hear it man, i hope you land on your feet quickly. good luck

Age 65 may not be the reason we are furloughing, but if the rule stayed at age 60 CAL would definitely not be furloughing right now. We would have lost 200 pilots this year and just over 200 pilots in 2009. Every new-hire would still be on property.

Age 65 may not be the reason we are furloughing, but if the rule stayed at age 60 CAL would definitely not be furloughing right now. We would have lost 200 pilots this year and just over 200 pilots in 2009. Every new-hire would still be on property.

OK, I'll agree with you there on the retirement #s. But mgt is furloughing because they can, not because they have to. Heard a couple of guys in the EWR crewroom yesterday talking about the CFO's retirement package. The cost of his JAX lifetime parking spot would've easily covered the salaries of the guys and gals getting kicked to the street. Dignity and Respect? Maybe for themselves but it certainly isn't trickling downhill.

Welcome to the airlines. Don't believe everything you are told; do some research on your own and make your own educated decision. Furloughs at CAL are a direct result of age 65. Sorry you made such a HUGE mistake by coming to the airlines. Maybe you should take a look at what you are getting into before you make a career change. The unions have always been here, and they always will. If you don't like it, don't come to the airlines, you won't be missed.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back