• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL System Bid is out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pure % based with at least 5-10 year fences around bases and equipment. If you are 50% with your current company then you will be 50% on the combined list but fenced into your airlines fleet and bases. Lets try to keep this civil.

I don't fully understand the "fence" rules. I'm a 3rd year Cal F/O; if we merge with United, would it be years before I could bid into one of their bases?

A friend of mine is a '97 hire at American and he was able to bid across the fence into St Louis (former TWA base), but he gave up some relative seniority.

Would it be the same deal, or are there endless possibilites in the way the groups are integrated?

I don't fully understand the "fence" rules. I'm a 3rd year Cal F/O; if we merge with United, would it be years before I could bid into one of their bases?

A friend of mine is a '97 hire at American and he was able to bid across the fence into St Louis (former TWA base), but he gave up some relative seniority.

Would it be the same deal, or are there endless possibilites in the way the groups are integrated?

Yes that is the deal with a fence, you cannot bid into United's bases and they cannot bid into ours. This protects both sides from bumping into their respective bases for a period of time. And also fences around the 787's and 747's to protect both UAL and CAL guys.

Now with the AA deal, most of the furloughes came from TWA but they still had to staff STL so AA guys had to bid into STL to cover the flying. The realative seniority hit came from STL being protected for the EX TWA guys they get seniority in STL.

Clear as Mud? I just hope it does not come to this as I know first hand how ugly this can get. I was TWA.

5-10 year fences? Is that what merged seniority lists have seen in the past?

If you look at the Republic/NWA merger those guys were fenced off all the widebodies(because Republic didn't have any) forever it seemed like. This is just off the top of my head but I bet most of the United guys would want significant fences because of the quality of their bases, versus ours. Who knows I am purely guessing.

To me fences are insignificant because they will expire, but where you end up on the seniority list stays with you forever.

Last edited:
This brings up an interesting question:

Could somebody from United post the percentages of seniority to hire date?

For example,

90% = XX-19XX Hire Date, etc....

Latest resources

Back