• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL recalls when???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every flight I have flown the last month or have jumpseated on has been oversold. The airport terminals are all packed so to me at least it looks like the general public seems to be using flying for their traveling needs.

I buy it. There really is no one factor suggesting any recovery is near. All the airlines do anymore is cut capacity, merge and downsize fleets, furlough and over work remaining crews. No attrition to retirement, as legacy carriers farm out more flying. The younger pilot group sees growth at their regionals but with no movement above hence no replacement of legacy senior pilots. The future will hold far less pilots period, as we bring in larger fleet types of the 70-120 seat range and reduce frequency and overlap with mergers. The ball is dark and murky. The best we can hope for is a total system revamp comprised of EMB-190 and CRJ-1000 type fleets with positions that pay $80,000 after 15 years of service.

OOOHHH K................... Easy does it.....

Time to get off the internet for a while. Find a new hobby cus this doom and gloom stuff is gonna make you old FAST! I suppose since you actually believe what you just posted that you have already turned in your resignation papers and are starting your new non- aviation career any day now..........

ACwild: Aren't you supposed to have 12 days off at a minimum?

Not like that's a lot of time off, granted, but unless you have training, the contract guarantees 12 days.

FWIW, I've been fed so much gloom and doom by the financial analysts that I find it hard to believe they will recall this August. CAL will run as lean as possible, and PBS allows mgmt to run this company extremely lean for pilot staffing. Good for cost savings, but horrible for QOL. We need work rules, work rules, work rules...

Also, senior pilots with money in the markets (and I assume most do) have taken a severe hit in their investments. Why quit a job when you're at the top of the heap in your peak salary years, can cherry pick a schedule, and get 5 weeks of vacation on top of using the sick leave they saved up for their bridge medical?

Sorry, as much as I'd like to see it, I don't think recalls are going to happen.

Last edited:
sadly, i kind of agree. as much as i would like to be optimistic about my return, i think the reality is as you just put it.

Also
I am on Cola 10 along with 64 others. I am due to return in Mar/Apr 2010. Unfortunately most of us will be coming back in time to fly the summer '10 schedule.

The CAL contract has no minimum days off. Theoretically, you could be awarded a line with zero days off. 12 days off minimum only applies to line construction, not the final award.

I would bet that FAR rest rules will be changed by next summer, if not sooner.

Not all of the COLA's will be coming back immediately. Expect some to try and get an 18 month PLA to finish off their 3 year contracts.. or just continue to make more money than they would back at CAL.

A few dozen more pilots will decide to retire because of the stress of the job/commuting/fear of losing their Lump Sum. Also some hitting 62 and that was their magic number.

A handful will go out on medicals or unfortunately pass away.

777 deliveries scheduled for next year will show up, along with those 4 757-300's.

Therefore, I would be willing to bet that we see the 147 back sometime in 2010.

Motch

Latest resources

Back