Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain X

Who is John Galt?
A furloughed buddy of mine said another guy told him a friend at a regional, who interviewed before the furlough, recently got an email from CAL Pilot Recruiting inquiring about continued interest in employment and if so to plan on being in class by the end of 2009. (I apologize for the atrocious sentence there)

Couple of things...

First, I didn't know CAL actually had a "pool." Any body on FI in it that can substantiate?

Second, can anybody validate this rumor or emails going out to said poolies?

I know it jives with some other rumors but if this is true then it lends some validity to such things and would be great news for our 147.

recalls?

On whether more layoffs, flight reductions or cost-cutting are ahead: “As painful as it is, we have got to make sure we keep our staffing in line with the flying we are doing. We have got to keep those in synch. We are going to continue to evaluate as we look at the fall (after the summer travel season), where we need to go.”

A furloughed buddy of mine said another guy told him a friend at a regional, who interviewed before the furlough, recently got an email from CAL Pilot Recruiting inquiring about continued interest in employment and if so to plan on being in class by the end of 2009. (I apologize for the atrocious sentence there)

Couple of things...

First, I didn't know CAL actually had a "pool." Any body on FI in it that can substantiate?

Second, can anybody validate this rumor or emails going out to said poolies?

I know it jives with some other rumors but if this is true then it lends some validity to such things and would be great news for our 147.

That letter did go out, that is not a rumor. However, it went out a couple of months ago. I think the plan changes daily, but I am still hoping to get back sooner than later. Deliveries for 2010 - 17 airplanes, including two 777's, don't they staff those at 40 pilots per airplane?

On whether more layoffs, flight reductions or cost-cutting are ahead: “As painful as it is, we have got to make sure we keep our staffing in line with the flying we are doing. We have got to keep those in synch. We are going to continue to evaluate as we look at the fall (after the summer travel season), where we need to go.”

That whole article was a joke, most of which was totally contrary to what was said at the JP Morgan (or whatever other bank) conference. The games are just beginning, and I am sure there will be more. Of course things are bad out there, but what is CAL going to do, park more airplanes because they can't sell enough first class seats??? I don't think so. They are going to take it in the shorts until the economy gets better, and they aren't going to be nearly as profitable for fiscal 09.

2009 net loss of aircraft. No recall for summer flying. Can't imagine they will need to up the staffing for winter flying. Unless the retiring starts up can't see it happening.

There will be no recalls this year. There will be no hiring this year. CAL does not have a "pool." There are plenty of rumors but there is nothing that would indicate any growth in 09. No growth means no recalls and no hiring. 2010 may be very different but I suspect thing will continue at present for some time.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Awesome! Thanks for the laugh! :)

My guess mid to late 2010 for hiring.... unless a UAL merger happens ( which I am NOT hoping for-- its just a possibility ) , then it will be closer to 2020.

Last edited:

I knew the girl talking to Ferris on the school phone. Small bit part in the movie. Kristin Graziano was her name.

Latest resources

Back