Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL pilots picketing.... or something like that..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does a black and white law keep people from stealing, speeding, killing, etc? Smisek feels like he can do whatever he likes UNTIL we use the law to stop him, he is no different than a common thief. As a matter of fact, he IS a thief. Smisek is going to look like a fool when he loses that arbitration and has to take those flights out of the computer.

You mean when he loses that arbitration, chooses to continue anyway and then is told by a judge to take those flights out of the computer.

Really? Then why are CAL pilots having to picket for our scope? If the union lawyers and contract enforcers were any good then we would not have to.

It's a whole package. The pilots provide leverage for the lawyers and contract enforcers. If we only had 20 people show up then they would not have much leverage. Since over 300 showed up for both events so far I would say that is considerable leverage. It shows that we care about it since we are willing to take one of our precious days off and come down to picket. Does that make sense to you?

It's a whole package. The pilots provide leverage for the lawyers and contract enforcers. If we only had 20 people show up then they would not have much leverage. Since over 300 showed up for both events so far I would say that is considerable leverage. It shows that we care about it since we are willing to take one of our precious days off and come down to picket. Does that make sense to you?

We don't need leverage, a contract is a contract is a contract. Does that mean anyone who does not show up to support the picket does not support the contract too?

The lawyers don't need our leverage assistance, their leverage is the court system.

I only ask because isn't "imformational picketing" supposed to pass information? Not that I'm bashing those who turned out, I just think it was/is a complete waste of time. Of course CALALPA will tote it as a total success all the while they are ignoring the real fight and the real issues.

Actually, mamba could have made it 351 pilots in attendance but he decided to be a spectator who keeps missing the live show. Unfortunately there is no instant replay mambo. Represent or STFU!!

We don't need leverage, a contract is a contract is a contract. Does that mean anyone who does not show up to support the picket does not support the contract too?

The lawyers don't need our leverage assistance, their leverage is the court system.

You are wrong. It is all about leverage. If the pilots are not behind the negotiators, they will spend ten years at the table getting nothing. There is enough empirical evidence to completely swamp anyone who has an interest to study the history of pilots contract negotiations.

Even if the pilots provide plenty of leverage, an ignorant or hubristic management team can still delay progress for a ridiculously long time. The NMB will eventually get involved - and sometime the courts. As you may be aware, it is not the blinded lady justice ruling impartially with regard to the law. Judges, and therefore the courts tend to lean one way or the other on labor (and other) issues.

The picketing primarily serves to let the management, and more importantly, the board know that this is not a negotiating team out on their own. If they believe it will cost them more money to stay on their current path, they may adjust course.

You are wrong. It is all about leverage. If the pilots are not behind the negotiators, they will spend ten years at the table getting nothing. There is enough empirical evidence to completely swamp anyone who has an interest to study the history of pilots contract negotiations.

Even if the pilots provide plenty of leverage, an ignorant or hubristic management team can still delay progress for a ridiculously long time. The NMB will eventually get involved - and sometime the courts. As you may be aware, it is not the blinded lady justice ruling impartially with regard to the law. Judges, and therefore the courts tend to lean one way or the other on labor (and other) issues.

The picketing primarily serves to let the management, and more importantly, the board know that this is not a negotiating team out on their own. If they believe it will cost them more money to stay on their current path, they may adjust course.

Good point and all true....

But, I got in this job to fly planes......or not fly planes sometimes...

Anyways, all of this extra curricular junk is annoying and the story has been the same since my first airlines job in 1999. Nothing has changed. I did not get into this job for other pilots. I do support the union 2% worth every month.

Pilots complained at Eagle, then ASA then CAL... all the same sad story, even SWA pilots complain..

My friend at Exxom makes $180k per year, $110k first year out of college.. home every night, sure, works 9-5 (-7 some days), but he can retire at 45 with a few million dollars. He is 30 years old now. BTW, he gets a $10k raise every year. Union....what is that? Do they still have those?

Airline pilots want to be in the same social circle people like this, attorneys, doctors...... that is just simply not the case (anymore), we are upscale bus drivers (in some cases literally) and management is going to fight all the way to prove that.

Choices:

1) Quit and change career...... and dont look back
2) Continue flying and fight for career.... spend nights away from home until you retire.

I guarantee that in 10 years this board will be the same dialogue and content as it is today, because it was the same 10 years ago.

Face it, the job kinda blows and is boring as heyll.......

Last edited:

Anyways, all of this extra curricular junk is annoying and the story has been the same since my first airlines job in 1999. Nothing has changed. I did not get into this job for other pilots. I do support the union 2% worth every month.

Pilots complained at Eagle, then ASA then CAL... all the same sad story, even SWA pilots complain..

My friend at Exxom makes $180k per year, $110k first year out of college.. home every night, sure, works 9-5 (-7 some days), but he can retire at 45 with a few million dollars. He is 30 years old now. BTW, he gets a $10k raise every year. Union....what is that? Do they still have those?

Airline pilots want to be in the same social circle people like this, attorneys, doctors...... that is just simply not the case (anymore), we are upscale bus drivers (in some cases literally) and management is going to fight all the way to prove that.

Choices:

2) Continue flying and fight for career.... spend nights away from home until you retire.

I guarantee that in 10 years this board will be the same dialogue and content as it is today, because it was the same 10 years ago.

AIM HIGH

Your whole post sounds far too similar in content and tone to the crap that 83-85 hires/scabs spew while at work.

You have a diminished self worth when it comes to the context of your career... and that's just a sad fact of your life because you have never been shown any better by your mentors in life.

I wish you had the tact, intelligence and guts to just keep your thoughts on the UAL/CAL JCBA/SLI to yourself... or just maybe contribute 2% of your esteem-deficient thoughts every month and then stop.

Choices:

NOW GO JOIN YOUR FRIEND AT EXXOM (?). You will be more successful there being one of the anchor on the pride of the fleet, The Exxon Valdez, now renamed the Dong Fang Ocean.

Latest resources

Back