• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL orders more 787's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Junior flys with all the guys that had the balls to walk.

Since there are less than sixty old Cal guys left, I doubt junior is flying with many of them. They are almost all 777 CA's or 756 CA's who fly exclusively 767 trips. It's too bad junior doesn't fly with more of them because most of these guys have forgotten more about being a captain than a lot of guys will ever know. This is one of the single biggest reasons we are where we are, guys who think that just sitting in the left seat makes them a captain.

Many years ago, after coaxing a CAL/ALPA/Lorenzo/NYA/etc. history discussion from him, a TI striker advised me: "Don't make any of that your problem, think of CAL as a start up airline from BK #2". Good advice. I used to be keenly aware of the origin of who I was flying with, now I try to stay unaware. I care about what they are thinking right now, that's it.

I want my f-ing money back!

Just like the company was "reasonable" on the last contract? They ran up the score and gloated about it, payback's a bitch. They have milked 9/11 for everything it's worth, the party is now over.
Which is why its important to attain a good contract, not only in compensation, but job security. Can't give the company a reason to pull the "labor costs are too high" card...

You can tell if your flying with a scab the second they begin to fly. It's not 100% but pretty close. All I can say is that the only times I've filed a ASAP has been with scabs. Make sure you have your "A" game on when you fly with one.

Since there are less than sixty old Cal guys left, I doubt junior is flying with many of them. They are almost all 777 CA's or 756 CA's who fly exclusively 767 trips. It's too bad junior doesn't fly with more of them because most of these guys have forgotten more about being a captain than a lot of guys will ever know. This is one of the single biggest reasons we are where we are, guys who think that just sitting in the left seat makes them a captain.

Now just a lil off topic but for those (me) who are not up to speed on all the plane codes, 756 i take it is 757 and 767?

-Paul

Yep, but new hires are going into those planes as well. There are a more than a few scabs that commute out of where I live and alot of them are still on the 737.

densoo said:
Originally Posted by flatspin7 It really ticks me off to hear people refering to CAL as Scab central... Yes that is there in our past (24 years ago) but now the rest of us are trying to go beyond that and move this airline in a positive direction.
Like it or not, it will be considered this way until it proves it is a different pilot group. It earned its infamy the easy way. The only way out of it is to earn respect the hard way.

The company's financial position is on the upswing and the contract openers are next year. Not voting "yes" on the company's first paltry offer might be a start.

Below another example of the wrong direction. The contract says March 15. Fails to meet the contract date and, as if to emphasize the point of its invulnerability to contract compliance, cuts the staff that is trying to make this thing work.

Company says, too bad. Union says "I'm Oprah and I'm listening."

Saturday March 17, 2007

The March 15th deadline for delivery of the PBS Dynamic Bid Model, as set forth in the Implementation LOA, has now come and gone. Despite our best efforts to move the project forward, the deadline has been missed by the Company and Jeppesen. Discussions with Jeppesen on a further revised product delivery schedule are ongoing and we will update you as more concrete information becomes available.

Furthermore, it’s important that the pilot group realize that Continental recently made a unilateral decision to staff the PBS help line with crew schedulers as a cost saving measure. In the past, line pilots have served in this capacity. Your Union believes that these schedulers are insufficiently trained and will not be able to answer all pilot questions. They will likely read to you from vendor provided documents concerning some functions, and they can not bring the in-depth experience to the discussion in a way that a line pilot could. Additionally, they are not authorized to inform you what affect certain actions will have on your bid. We have asked that these phone lines be taped in order to properly document the discussion should errors occur with your bid.

Despite our protests, management has also elected to reduce the staffing of pilot trainers available on Prefbids.com. Beginning in April, there will be two shifts per day staffed with a single pilot trainer. Please be patient as they are working to meet your needs under a higher load of work. Management is more than willing to have Prefbids.com staffed by additional trainers if the expense is born by the Union. It is the MEC’s position that PBS training, like all other forms of training at Continental, is an expense that should be covered by the company. Your MEC officers believe that the sacrifice made by this pilot group to accept a PBS system as part of the current concessionary contract is payment enough. This pilot group will not sacrifice one more dollar for a bid system that has not met pilot expectations while the Company and Jeppesen continue to miss agreed upon system implementation deadlines.

The ALPA CAL MEC will continue to comply with its part of the contractual agreement in regards to moving PBS forward. Enabling the continuance of a problematic bid system and subsidizing it with ALPA dues money --- your dues money--- is entirely unacceptable and will not receive our support. We will inform you when and if any additional information concerning this issue becomes available. Please remember to continue flying safely and professionally.

CAL MEC

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back