CAL orders more 787's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point, and I hope that is the way it would pan out. On the flip side;

Junior flys with all the guys that had the balls to walk. Junior hears them bitch and moan about how much they lost during the strike. Junior is grateful his dad scabbed because it helped to give him everything he ever wanted, while the children of the guys with balls probably had a little bit less. I'm not saying they were destitute and on the street begging for change. Junior decides he would scab because he would not want to loose anyting. After all, what is son of scab going to do if there is a strike? He got hired at CAL with no turbine PIC time. His job prospects would suck if there was a strike.

Here is the worst part. Junior flys at CAL and realizes that being a scab isn't such a bad thing. For some reason, ALPA let them all back in to, so it couldn't have been such a bad thing, right? After all, Daddy did it and everything seemed to come out honky dory.

I'd much rather have it your way.

Who is a scab at CAL? 1983-1985 hires? PE guys who worked for nothing when they started up? New York Air guys who crossed a Texas International ALPA picket line? ( Bet you guys didn't know about that one). Forget this old story and move on. CAL is growing, (for right now) and we will all have a chance to make this a better place to work! Keep the faith and vote for what you believe in.

Which is why its important to attain a good contract, not only in compensation, but job security. Can't give the company a reason to pull the "labor costs are too high" card...

The company has never needed a reason to play that card. They never seem to mention the exorbitant executive compensation packages or buying back huge chunks of stock, at record high prices, in an attempt to shore up the share price to enhance said executive compensation packages.

Read some of CAL's 10-K filings for the last seven years and you will realize that these are not honorable men we are dealing with, they are robber barons dressed in pinstriped suits.

Crucianpilot,
Did the fleet mgr say anything about the 767-200? Some guys who claim they are in the know say the planes are staying when the 787 arrives and others say they are leaving. I don't get on the crackpipe (aka forums) where I am sure they are discussing it.

He said the 767-200's will be leaving although they will be around for quite a while after the 787's get here. Subject to change, of course.

Who is a scab at CAL? 1983-1985 hires? PE guys who worked for nothing when they started up? New York Air guys who crossed a Texas International ALPA picket line? ( Bet you guys didn't know about that one). Forget this old story and move on. CAL is growing, (for right now) and we will all have a chance to make this a better place to work! Keep the faith and vote for what you believe in.

Yeah, just forget about those silly scabs that specialized in the highest form of selfish behavior in this profession. What did they do to you anyway? Other than put their selfish interests first while others were standing up for something they believed in...unionism. The scab apologists are nearly as pathetic as they are. Don't worry junior guys, vote for what you believe in.....meanwhile the scabs will be voting the way they always have... for themselves. I honestly hope that one day you guys DO merge with UAL...at least they still remember how to treat a scab.

The pilots from that entire era of Continental history number less than 1600 and shrinking every day. They are the history of this airline. The question is what are the over 3200 pilots (and growing) who were hired after that era going to do? We control the future.

Yeah, just forget about those silly scabs that specialized in the highest form of selfish behavior...

You missed his point -- exactly who is a scab? A 1983 hire? A 1985 hire? A 1987 hire?

"Mr. Mid Level Senority CAL Pilot" proudly says, "I am not a scab!" "But Scabby McScabberson is a scab because he was hire one day (one week, one month) before me.

Yes there are 'lists' out there. Who made the list? What was their criteria or reasoning? Does pass the logic test?

It's easy Joe. There is a list. Those who accepted and or took flying assignments while an official strike was still being conducted are labeled a scab. Those who could have crossed but waited until the big hiring spree in 1987 are not scabs according to ALPA. They got labeled we know due to their accepting jobs at Lorenzo's airline but they are not scabs.

IAHERJ

BUT... ALPA was not yet decertified at Continental during 1987. Therefore, someone else was doing ALPA's flying -- we call those people scabs, right?

Latest resources

Back