CAL orders more 787's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crucianpilot,
Did the fleet mgr say anything about the 767-200? Some guys who claim they are in the know say the planes are staying when the 787 arrives and others say they are leaving. I don't get on the crackpipe (aka forums) where I am sure they are discussing it.

Except for the sons and daughters of the scabs.

But there are plenty of new hires here that are very strong unionists. And they probably come pretty close to outnumbering the scabs.

It really ticks me off to hear people refering to CAL as Scab central... Yes that is there in our past (24 years ago) but now the rest of us are trying to go beyond that and move this airline in a positive direction.

Except for the sons and daughters of the scabs.

Or you could look at it realisitically: Their daddy crossed, before junior knows what a scab is. Sounds vaguely unpleasant at 4 years old, but not high on a toddlers list of concerns. Eventually junior figures this whole scene out around 12, when he realizes CAL was on strike when daddy was hired.

Then daddy spends the next 15 years getting paid less than any other Major pilot and hating it. Spends the next 22 years bitching, whining, and moaning about Frank, Hollis, Fergie, Gordon, and Larry, begrudging them their million dollar bonuses, begrudging the PEX guys, the NYA guys, the FL guys, and the TXI guys. And for good measure, begrudging the UA guys their bigger houses. Begrudging the Chelsea employees their pass class, begrudging Ford Explorers, begrudging the MEC for "not fighting hard enough," begrudging ALPA for their paltry retirement. Competely ignorant or uncaring about their past actions impact on the present sad state of affairs.

Junior eventually sees this revolting "I deserve better, f the rest" attitude infecting all aspects of said scab's life. Teenagers have a detector for hypocrisy like no other, and junior resolves to never do such a heinous thing no matter what the cost. Junior comes out swinging, militant, and informed, ready to write the pages of Flying The Line III with management's blood.

Last edited:
It really ticks me off to hear people refering to CAL as Scab central... Yes that is there in our past (24 years ago) but now the rest of us are trying to go beyond that and move this airline in a positive direction.

Like it or not, it will be considered this way until it proves it is a different pilot group. It earned its infamy the easy way. The only way out of it is to earn respect the hard way.

The company's financial position is on the upswing and the contract openers are next year. Not voting "yes" on the company's first paltry offer might be a start.

Or you could look at it realisitically: Their daddy crossed, before junior knows what a scab is. Sounds vaguely unpleasant at 4 years old, but not high on a toddlers list of concerns. Eventually junior figures this whole scene out around 12, when he realizes CAL was on strike when daddy was hired.

Then daddy spends the next 15 years getting paid less than any other Major pilot and hating it. Spends the next 22 years bitching, whining, and moaning about Frank, Hollis, Fergie, Gordon, and Larry, begrudging them their million dollar bonuses, begrudging the PEX guys, the NYA guys, the FL guys, and the TXI guys. And for good measure, begrudging the UA guys their bigger houses. Begrudging the Chelsea employees their pass class, begrudging Ford Explorers, begrudging the MEC for "not fighting hard enough," begrudging ALPA for their paltry retirement. Competely ignorant or uncaring about their past actions impact on the present sad state of affairs.

Junior eventually sees this revolting "I deserve better, f the rest" attitude infecting all aspects of said scab's life. Teenagers have a detector for hypocrisy like no other, and junior resolves to never do such a heinous thing no matter what the cost. Junior comes out swinging, militant, and informed, ready to write the pages of Flying The Line III with management's blood.

Good point, and I hope that is the way it would pan out. On the flip side;

Junior flys with all the guys that had the balls to walk. Junior hears them bitch and moan about how much they lost during the strike. Junior is grateful his dad scabbed because it helped to give him everything he ever wanted, while the children of the guys with balls probably had a little bit less. I'm not saying they were destitute and on the street begging for change. Junior decides he would scab because he would not want to loose anyting. After all, what is son of scab going to do if there is a strike? He got hired at CAL with no turbine PIC time. His job prospects would suck if there was a strike.

Here is the worst part. Junior flys at CAL and realizes that being a scab isn't such a bad thing. For some reason, ALPA let them all back in to, so it couldn't have been such a bad thing, right? After all, Daddy did it and everything seemed to come out honky dory.

I'd much rather have it your way.

Its important for the pilots and the company to work together on a mutually beneficial contract....the pilots deserve and should certainly get more, but they have to be reasonable as well.

Its important for the pilots and the company to work together on a mutually beneficial contract....the pilots deserve and should certainly get more, but they have to be reasonable as well.

Just like the company was "reasonable" on the last contract? They ran up the score and gloated about it, payback's a bitch. They have milked 9/11 for everything it's worth, the party is now over.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back