• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Increasing Hiring Starting July

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whats considered competitive mins or is it just inside pull? how many recomendations do you need? Anything else help you to get an interview?

Have you actually heard that, or are you hopeful?

Not sure if this is directed at me so what I have stated on this thread comes from the person previous in charge of hiring that was in a sim with me. He said that classes would increase starting July.
Hopefully we will improve our contract across the board.

You serious?? Alot of senior guys at CAL don't even know who XJT is and what we fly. Now they might, after 10 years of growing now shrinking. They voted in a substandard contract in '97 while letting their scope get loose, then they voted in a concessionary contract in '04...good luck in '08. You have "E-Jets" on property, they're called 3/500s..hold strong on the scope!

One reason for the incresed hiring is the number of new aircraft that are appearing next year. We will receive 18 737-800's and 12 737-900ER's, whcih is around 2 a month. Even with the optional loss of 14 737-300's (still pending), we will still have a net gain of 16 aircraft. Couple that with normal reitements, a few early out such as the 50 or so 777 CA's to Jet airways, some deaths and firings, and you are possibly looking at a MOAB in August.
I think we will see the 64 a month continue for quite some time and a minimum of 250 new CA's on the August bid, which should allow for another 400-600 new hires until next summer.

I know this subject is very broad since I've read other posts such as this, BUT, for you 121 guys, what's ballpark earnings for 1st yr FO at CAL? I've always been part 135, so I don't really know how the whole pay/bid system works in your world and how it = take home pay.

I missed all but 2 weeks of last year (hired 17JAN) and my first year pay as a EWR 737 FO was $23K as of the DEC 15th paycheck. Embarrassing for a purported major airline. We want high time pilots but don't want to pay them.

Try and tell someone in this company about the situation and all you get is "well I only made $15K", or, "you got to pay your dues", or, "we have 14 thousand apps on file so it must be okay".

I am a TWA/AA furloughee, and then I worked for Comair and observed many of the Delta pilots shamelessly pick up open time (and brag about it, that's how I found out) during the furloughs over there (not that APA didn't tell their own to do that as well), but with all that being said, this is truly the most self-interested and divided pilot group I have been a part of (after 6 airlines).

We have an opportunity to get a decent contract for everyone as we start our negotiations, and I personally have heard many $150/year Captains that I have worked with tell me that we should not ask for a pay raise. Just had one tell me that during 75/76 training in fact. After all, they are doing just fine. And a raise for new hires, forget it.

Don't even get me started on our work rules, oh wait, we don't really have any. And as for PBS, well that top 30% who is doing just fine just keep on rolling.

We have an opportunity to get a decent contract for everyone as we start our negotiations, and I personally have heard many $150/year Captains that I have worked with tell me that we should not ask for a pay raise. Just had one tell me that during 75/76 training in fact. After all, they are doing just fine. And a raise for new hires, forget it.

Don't even get me started on our work rules, oh wait, we don't really have any. And as for PBS, well that top 30% who is doing just fine just keep on rolling.

don't worry too much. guys like this captain (doesn't deserve capitalization) are much less than 58% these days. they barely scooted the last contract under the radar. guys like him are afraid to fight for anything and the results are evident.

the company carrot-dangling will not work on angry dogs. we want the meat!

I missed all but 2 weeks of last year (hired 17JAN) and my first year pay as a EWR 737 FO was $23K as of the DEC 15th paycheck. Embarrassing for a purported major airline. We want high time pilots but don't want to pay them.

Try and tell someone in this company about the situation and all you get is "well I only made $15K", or, "you got to pay your dues", or, "we have 14 thousand apps on file so it must be okay".

I am a TWA/AA furloughee, and then I worked for Comair and observed many of the Delta pilots shamelessly pick up open time (and brag about it, that's how I found out) during the furloughs over there (not that APA didn't tell their own to do that as well), but with all that being said, this is truly the most self-interested and divided pilot group I have been a part of (after 6 airlines).

Sounds like someone has a case of the Monday's !! Or Tuesdays.

Don't sweat it Kugel, just put on some Rush and let the Hip Hop take you away.:laugh:

You forgot the work rules we had as CFI's at 3WE.

All I can say to your post is BS! You haven't seen the Wilson Polling numbers I have. I will not break any of my confidentiality agreements but I can comfortably say our pilot group is very ready for the fight ahead called Contract 08 negotiations.

How about we stop negotiating on a public forum, stop taking shots at our pilot group and ready ourselves for the war ahead called Contract 08. Today One Hundred of your union Brothers and Sisters participated in a very successful CAL Stockholders meeting. Your MEC chairman along with the hundred pilots in attendance did an outstanding job letting our management, board of directors and stockholders that Continental Pilots are ready to fight for our fair share. Larry Kellner even publically stated several times our CAL ALPA phrase of an "On Time Contract" in reference to the Pilot's Contract 08.

Time for every one of our pilots to stop the infighting and prepare mentally and financially for the battles ahead!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back