• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Increasing Hiring Starting July

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What type of experience are you folks seeing in class?

3000 hour pilots or 5000? TurboJet Pic?

You can quit the "jumping on the sword" speech to me. I've been furloughed also.

It's easy to say you will do whatever it takes on Flightinfo.com. When it comes down to it, I'm not sure we can get enough support to do a strike with any real effect. Maybe some work actions, but I don't know about a strike.

As far as the 500 senior guys. They will take another 500 with them, those who agree with the way they think. The scab mentality is seen in other non-scabs also.

Here is the deal and this isn't just directed to you but every CAL pilot on this forum. Please stop negotiating and or making statements as to what our pilots will or will not do in support of our contractual efforts for a fair and equitable contract.

When you make these type of statements you may not realize it but you are damaging our contract effort. Management does get these posts forwarded to them. The only public statement you should make is my MEC and Negotiating Committee speaks for me and I will do whatever they ask me to up to and including a full strike when legally able to do so.

As far as your statements about job actions etc. This is the straight scoop. Your MEC received a briefing from ALPA's legal expert on legal job actions/strikes under the RLA. Most of the briefing dealt with changes (all negative) since the actions of AA during their illegal sick out and the massive ramifications the entire industry now lives under do to APA's actions. I (your Strike Preparedness Chairman) and other key SPC or now SPSC committee members had an a private meeting with this attorney afterwords.

Without violating my confidentially agreements I will say the following. The only legal job action is a strike at the end of a thirty day cooling off period and subsequence release to "Self Help" by the NMB. Anything else even if it is started by the pilot group without any union involvement is illegal and your union will be penalized severely and subsequently you and your union brothers and sisters too. This has been proven many times since APA's illegal actions (now we are all paying for it) and the courts have upheld these type of interpretations every single time.

Long story short if you or anyone else isn't ready to conduct a real strike when legally able to do so then I suggest you find another career or carrier to work for, because you will continue to work under a POS contract for the rest of your career. How about we stopping making excuses and do our best to bring each and every CAL pilot on board.

One last statement. Lets stop the dissecting our pilot group into subcategories IE: Old CAL, TI, Scab, NY AIR, PEX, Frontier, CALEXP, 87-88, 89-90, New hire etc. We are only 5000 CAL pilots and until we start thinking and acting as such management will continue to kick our a$$'s in negotiations.

Last edited:
EWR IS NEXT ON JULY 17!

Shareholders' Meeting Report
Shareholder2small.JPG

Click here to see more photos

Today, nearly 100 pilots attended the annual Continental Airlines Shareholders Meeting at the Hyatt Hotel in downtown Houston. The solid turnout and professional conduct of the pilots involved sent a clear message to Continental management. CEO and president Larry Kellner heard that message and reiterated his commitment to finishing Contract ’08 “ON TIME”. Several media outlets carried the story including:

Houston Business Journal:
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2007/06/11/daily13.html?surround=lfn

Houston Chronicle:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/4881453.html

KHOU
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou070612_ac_continentalrally.3d3e6df8.html

MEC Chairman Tom Donaldson spoke at the meeting saying, "Today, we acknowledged the forward thinking decision that Continental Airlines management has made in agreeing to meet with us to establish a negotiating protocol for our contract. We anticipate that this will initiate a successful process, culminating in a new contract for our pilots by Dec. 31, 2008. We believe Continental Airlines has a visionary business plan that has positioned our airline to become a dominant force in the industry. We also know that this business plan can only succeed if we function together as a highly competent, professional and committed team. We have worked diligently over the past two decades to keep the team moving forward, helping the company overcome any and all challenges to our survival and success. Every day, we take our leadership core competencies and professional ethics into the skies throughout the world to deliver our product—consistently, reliably, safely and efficiently. It is time to be fully acknowledged for our key role on the Continental team. We expect the company to be on time for us in securing our new contract and to work with us in the process."

Pictures from the meeting are available on the MEC Photo album. Pilots made the effort to travel from all over, even utilizing red-eye flights to make the event. Many more pilots tried to attend but could not find a seat on full flights. The MEC officers and local council reps would like to thank everyone for their involvement and recognize the following pilots who were in attendance. We may have missed a name or two – if you attended and we did not list your name, and you would like it listed, please e-mail us at [email protected].

Names Omitted

A pilot event will be held in EWR at the Marriott Hotel on July 17. Again, pilot attendance is critical and details will be forthcoming – so bid accordingly!

thanks, ill go back to my RJ for another few years.
Don't get too down, jws717. The "secret handshake" is an ever changing beast. Perhaps you will be taught it sooner than you think. I know for a fact there are quite a few there (and at other Legacy carriers) who will be doing their first ever 121 left seat flying there. Remember the old saying: "It's better to be lucky than good."
Good luck.

-Blucher

Here is the deal and this isn't just directed to you but every CAL pilot on this forum. Please stop negotiating and or making statements as to what our pilots will or will not do in support of our contractual efforts for a fair and equitable contract.

When you make these type of statements you may not realize it but you are damaging our contract effort. Management does get these posts forwarded to them. The only public statement you should make is my MEC and Negotiating Committee speaks for me and I will do whatever they ask me to up to and including a full strike when legally able to do so.

As far as your statements about job actions etc. This is the straight scoop. Your MEC received a briefing from ALPA's legal expert on legal job actions/strikes under the RLA. Most of the briefing dealt with changes (all negative) since the actions of AA during their illegal sick out and the massive ramifications the entire industry now lives under do to APA's actions. I (your Strike Preparedness Chairman) and other key SPC or now SPSC committee members had an a private meeting with this attorney afterwords.

Without violating my confidentially agreements I will say the following. The only legal job action is a strike at the end of a thirty day cooling off period and subsequence release to "Self Help" by the NMB. Anything else even if it is started by the pilot group without any union involvement is illegal and your union will be penalized severely and subsequently you and your union brothers and sisters too. This has been proven many times since APA's illegal actions (now we are all paying for it) and the courts have upheld these type of interpretations every single time.

Long story short if you or anyone else isn't ready to conduct a real strike when legally able to do so then I suggest you find another career or carrier to work for, because you will continue to work under a POS contract for the rest of your career. How about we stopping making excuses and do our best to bring each and every CAL pilot on board.

One last statement. Lets stop the dissecting our pilot group into subcategories IE: Old CAL, TI, Scab, NY AIR, PEX, Frontier, CALEXP, 87-88, 89-90, New hire etc. We are only 5000 CAL pilots and until we start thinking and acting as such management will continue to kick our a$$'s in negotiations.

Thanks for assuming I wouldn't go on a strike. I've never crossed a picket line and never will. Stop dissecting us into pro-strike and anti-strike groups.:laugh:
I've done everything the union has ever asked and will in the future. Disagreeing with ALPA doesn't make you any less of a "good" union member.

As far as management getting these posts, who cares. They don't listen to what we say anyway. This is a legitimate place to post opinion.

I salute you for your current work. You have got allot of $hi+ ahead of you. Hopefully you guys will listen very carefully to what the union members want. Most of us have worked under some very good contracts at other carriers and have allot of good ideas for the next contracts. What's painful is that when you bring up some improvements to other pilots, you get a deer in the headlights look. Most say things like "I don't sit reserve, so I don't care about reserve rules", etc...

All I can say to your post is BS! You haven't seen the Wilson Polling numbers I have. I will not break any of my confidentiality agreements but I can comfortably say our pilot group is very ready for the fight ahead called Contract 08 negotiations.

How about we stop negotiating on a public forum, stop taking shots at our pilot group and ready ourselves for the war ahead called Contract 08. Today One Hundred of your union Brothers and Sisters participated in a very successful CAL Stockholders meeting. Your MEC chairman along with the hundred pilots in attendance did an outstanding job letting our management, board of directors and stockholders that Continental Pilots are ready to fight for our fair share. Larry Kellner even publically stated several times our CAL ALPA phrase of an "On Time Contract" in reference to the Pilot's Contract 08.

Time for every one of our pilots to stop the infighting and prepare mentally and financially for the battles ahead!

AMEN BROTHER!! Now is the time, let's set the tone for the industry...

Latest resources

Back