Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL GUYS, PAY not as they stated in writting.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's pretty obvious that most of the people bashing CAL are Continental Express pilots. Its unfortunate but maybe I would feel the same way if I was at XJT. I don't know all the details but I know you guys saw the "business" side of what CAL will do to save money. They run a great airline though because of their decisions. The awards speak for themselves.

There is a lot of the same thing going on over at AA too. The AE pilots are saying the same exact things you guys are with the exception of PBS. Things aren't that great anywhere right now.

If you take SWA, FEDEX or UPS out of the equation then working at CAL is no worse than UAL, AA, DAL, NWA, USAir etc. Everyone keeps comparing CAL to the only three airlines that consistently made money even after 911. I guess it's because we were the only airline hiring for the past couple years.

We are still operating under the same contract that was negotiated in the worst downturn in aviation history. How could anyone think that things won't change. Just look at the history of the airlines. It's cyclical and it will get better.

Good Luck.

I am so glad you do not work for CAL!

There is so much potential here, many of us who came over are committed to making this a great place to work. I am sure you would of hurt this process. Quite frankly I wish you were in no way affiliated with Continental Airlines.

Maybe when we ammend our contract, we will be good enough for you? But by then you will be at the best airline a pilot can work for, so it should not matter.

Now here is what I really want to say, I am a CAL pilot and not a cow. I think you all your wisdom need to show some respect. Or maybe you are not as bright as you think you are? So far many on this board have not been impressed.

I'm guessing that you're not one of the new hires making 25k with no bennies?

I am not going to criticize you for what you have said. Like they say, to each his own. However, I have been here for almost 2 years and this has been the best job I have ever had in this business. This is my 6th airline so I do have a lot to compare it to. Yes, there are some issues that need to be addressed in our next contract negotiations (PBS, compensation, etc..) but every company has its issues. There are a lot of things that we do here that were never done at some of the other places that I worked at. I am very happy with my decision to come here and I plan to finish my career here. By the way, there are quite a few people leaving other airlines to come here also (Airtran, Jetblue, etc..) so it is happening to all airlines. Everyone has their reasons.

What comes around, goes around. Remember all the SWA pilots who left SWA in 1999-2000 to go fly with legacy carriers in search of the higher pay and pensions? They ended up losing everything. It's much easier to live with your decision to go to another airline because you were furloughed. If you hop from one airline to the next in search of better benefits, you may end up with nothing. IMO, looking at current events, SWA is the new "legacy" carrier.

ExpressJet and the RJs saved your butts at CAL. We were making you guys money while you guys were losing millions. And if you were furloughed, you were allowed to flowback and fly those dreaded RJs. A simple thank you would do instead of constant XJT and RJ bashing.

Oh, and your MEC. LOL. We all know how united they are.

I predict a CAL contract sometime in 2012. That will get you back to the 97 rates. You are in for a long negotiation, I'm sure.

When did you get hired at with XJT? The RJ's did not save CAL. CAL managements decision on what to do with the RJ's and XJT, saved CAL. CAL management made a great decision to spin off XJT when they did. XJT was an asset that CAL owned. They decided that there was more value selling XJT then keeping it. They were right.

It wasn't long after the XJT IPO that NWA and Delta came to the same conclusion as CAL. Only they were a little late.

As a former XJT pilot I am glad I left. XJT is a great company and I wish them well. But I think the future for CAL is brighter then for XJT.

Only time will tell.

My New Hire acceptance letter for CAL stated exactly word for word, "Pay begins the first day of training. Training pay is calculated at 76.00 hours per month for a full month of training. First year pay is $29.97 per hour, regardless of equipment flown." Now, I was in training during the entire month of April, and I was compensated for 72.00 hours. I called payroll and they said that the correct compensation is 72.00, not 76.00 as stated in the letter, and that the letter was wrong. HMMMM????!!!!???? They also told me that I was to reference Section 3 Part 8 Para C..... of the contract if I had any questions. Seems to me that this letter is legally binding, and no contract was given to me ahead of accepting the job, and starting training. If it changed somewhere along the lines, hiring dept did not make the changes, but that's not my fault. Secondly, if you read section mentioned, it is geared towards not a newhire, but someone flying the line, one who might be losing pay during training because it references (2:24) or trip lost, whichever is greater. I am certainly not new to airline contracts, but would like the money that I feel I am owed. Not much, but a great deal for a newhire here. CAL guys, your input, and best course of action please.... New guy and realize that as well with regard to being a squeaky wheel, just want what I feel I am owed. Keep in mind, this also effect 100's of newhires even though they havent realized it until now.... Thanks for the input...

If this is true than ALPA should file an MEC Grievance and fight to get all the pilots who had this offer sent to them and took the job.

If this is true than ALPA should file an MEC Grievance and fight to get all the pilots who had this offer sent to them and took the job.

Bingo.

ALPA doesn't really care much about new hires. They don't pay dues yet. That's why pay is so low for first year pilots at most ALPA carriers.

I don't think first year pay is an ALPA National issue. I do think it is an issue of greed. The senior pilots wanted more and never tried to improve the life of new hire pilots. These senior pilots, all happen to be ALPA members!!

We now have the choice, keep the status quo or make life better for new hires.

I think an "international" pilots union should be able to set an industry (ALPA) wide standard for entry level pay rates and benefits. We have never acted like a unified group of pilots, it's always been every airline and every pilot for themselves. The whole concept of probation is ancient and should be done away with. Most pilots entering the majors have already completed a year of ALPA probation somewhere else and should be given credit for that service. All of us have paid our dues.

ALPA national can stand up and demand better treatment for new hires instead of making sure the ALPA president gets almost $500K/yr.

I agree that most senior pilots give a rats a$$ about new hires and there problems. It's hard to take when a scab tell you that "you just have to pay your dues." Like a scab has paid his dues. Stepping from a C182 to a 727 is really paying your dues.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back