CAL Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"FAR 121.434 Operating experience, operating cycles, and consolidation of
knowledge and skills". Might answer your question as to why they call it consolidation.

Scrap,

You made a comment about the 100hr mark. Be prepared while you're not "consolidated"(that what they call it, dont ask me why) to fly your a$$ off. I was in EWR during this time and always had a trip while i was up there. If i was good for 6 days I flew 6 days. However, once i tripped 100hrs and turned in my paperwork, it stopped. Luckily i had already been transferred to IAH and only had one more set of days in EWR. I sat for four days then on the fifth day they gave me a CMH overnight. So if they keep hiring like they are(which now i'm hearing rumblings about continuing through the summer) they'll have a lot of 100hr FOs to fly and you'll sit.

dk

Last edited:
I just got called for an interview and I have a few questions. If you pickup a trip on reserve does that go above the 72 or 76 hour base pay? Also about how many days off, commutability of trips is there for a junior line holder in EWR or IAH. Thanks

A warning about "A" reserve.

You get paid for 72 hours on A reserve and 76 on B. They can convert you from A to B reserve for up to three days and pay you 72 hours. They do that all the time. I bid A reserve one time to try it out, never again. The 9 hour call up isn't used like you think.

Example. Day one of A reserve. At 0001 they convert you to B reserve with a phone availablility of 0900. Now you are on a three hour call up to takeoff, that's two hours to check in starting at 0900. Tough to make if you have a long drive.

Hopefully we will get the A and B reserve thing changed in 2008.

The good news. I was hired in Oct 2005, 737 EWR. I didn't finish IOE until the end of December. Sat reserve for Jan and Feb. Reserve is short. Once you get a line life gets better.

Until you get 100 hrs. you have to fly at least once every 10 days. If you don't, then you have to fly with and instructor. Instructors are in short supply during this hiring spree. If you have to fly with and IP every 10 days the company gets really pissed. If you plan on taking military leave wait until you get you 100 hrs. (this doesn't include drill). I'm talking about long leave, unless it's involuntary or a AEF. I laid low until then, after that I haven't had any problems with mil leave.

Good Luck

I was hired Sept 05 and have been an A reserve in IAH 756 every month except for 2( conversion lines before PBS). I have never been converted to B in that time and have flown an average of 70 hrs a month. I commute from MCO and A reserve works pretty well for me. :D

Must be a 757 / 737 scheduling thang!

Hopefully we will get better reserve rules in 08.

I used to work somewhere that had 12 hour long call, I was based in Chicago and sat reserve in PHL. There are about 40 flights a day between the two cities, however there was about a two hour time window every night that I was screwed if given a true 12 hour call, I risked it a couple times and made out ok, but then again the company was bankrupt and had already told me they were going to get rid of me.:smash:

Aaaahhhhh, the good old days of commuting to Chicago while on long call reserve. What an enjoyable experience that was. I never missed a trip but I came really close A LOT!!!!! :uzi:

They are buying some of NWA's DC10's I guess and starting a more extensive code share with SWA for Mexico, Caribbean and Canada. It's nice to see some positive news over there for a change.

I was hired Sept 05 and have been an A reserve in IAH 756 every month except for 2( conversion lines before PBS). I have never been converted to B in that time and have flown an average of 70 hrs a month. I commute from MCO and A reserve works pretty well for me. :D

Do you normally commute in for an assignment, or do you still need a crash pad? Do new hires bid a/c and domicile, or are they assigned? Thanks.

I have been able to commute in on most of my assignments. Every once in a while, I have had to get a hotel room but they are fairly cheap in Houston. Pick up most of my flying in reserve agressive pickup the day before. I also have family in Houston so I do stay with them sometimes. All in all, it has been pretty good so far. A/C assignments are bid on by age in each class as well as domicile. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back