Cal & Amr

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pkober

Rumor. Fourth in line, but what the hell. Here it goes.

Some newhires have said that Larry Kellner came into their class and said that AMR called CAL to let them know that if we, CAL, attempt to merge with another carrier that they, AMR, would make a hostile bid to take over CAL.

Right!! The CEO is going to come into a newhire class and reveal that kind of info.

Just a rumor for our entertainment. It's really being said. Enjoy.

That rumor doesn't make sense on a few issues. First and foremost when has a CEO ever told the truth to any employee. Second AA cant afford to takeover CAL or any other carrier at this time. I did hear from our latest PIC charm school event that a CAL/UAL/AS threesome would be a possibility. This was stated by management types so it must be BS, right?

I was the foruth in line to hear it.

It probably started with Larry Kellner walking his dog and he looked up and saw an AA MD80 fly over. The next guys said that the MD80 landed on the road next to Larry. The next guy said that the two CEO's walked Larry's dog together, hand in hand, at which time the AA CEO told Larry about the hostile takeover bid.

It all makes sense.

Funny how you mock the CEO's, but you're the one that posted this BS.......

I tend to believe that Larry might have well said something like this. However, it most likely was more of a strategic rumor placement for contract talk time.

Kind of like when Larry rides jumpseat and explains how we are the best paid in the industry. ;)

I was the foruth in line to hear it.

It probably started with Larry Kellner walking his dog and he looked up and saw an AA MD80 fly over. The next guys said that the MD80 landed on the road next to Larry. The next guy said that the two CEO's walked Larry's dog together, hand in hand, at which time the AA CEO told Larry about the hostile takeover bid.

It all makes sense.

I have a hard time believing any of this...except the part where you state that the MD80 landed on the road next to Larry. Hartford, Denver, Seattle....(need I go on?) ...yep, I can believe it.

stlflyguy

I have heard this rumor as well and believe Larry may have actually said what you posted or at least some version of it.

Why you may ask? Come on guys we are in contract negotiations. We just displayed the most unity we have in the last twenty-two years.

The company propaganda campaign is starting. Why wouldn't Larry want to strategically put a little misinformation in the hooper?

Guess what if I was a betting man, and I am I would bet sometime in the future a number of scenario's are going to be played out by our management. How about one of them being in order to keep from being taken in a hostile takeover by AA (or fill in the blanks - and that is what I was told he said second hand Larry said from someone in the class) we need to keep our costs down and expand. We can't do this without your cooperation as this is best for all of us in the long run etc, etc etc. What your union is asking for is totally unreasonable and will leverage the company and your career.

There are any of number of ways to play this or other strategic misinformation within the pilot group to counteract your union's ability for once to negotiate a real contract.

Guess what been here since 1987. Contract 95 gun to our head sign it or the company will bleed our fledging union to death (IACP) and guess what we need it because mergers are on the horizon.

Contract 97, sign the contract mergers are on the horizon, better go into a merger with contract 97 terms then contract 95.

Contract 02, sing the contract or we will enter bankruptcy (union said company never said but implied) and a judge will take more away. Also beware mergers could happen we have higher W2's then UAL, DAL etc.

Get the common theme here? Also FACT not rumor the last round of articles indicating rumors of AA/CAL merger orginated right from the CAL ALPA office.

Relax and just like me have a standing NO vote unless we negotiate a real contract with significant improvements in the all of the following areas, pay and benefits, quality of life at home and work, SCOPE and real NEW HIRE PAY/INSURANCE AND eliminate the B SCALE YEARS 2-5.

Guess what you are your union and your union needs you. How about signing up for P2P and volunteering your time for the CAL ALPA SPSC. SPSC has four sub committee's - P2P - Family Awareness - Special Projects and Strike Preparedness.

I need help on our Strike Preparedness Committee, how about coming to work with me. You thought Wall Street was good, you ain't seen anything yet.

Last edited:
Wouldn't doubt he said it and you might even be talking about my new hire class from a week ago when he came and talked to us. Of course, your sources left off that Larry said that all the airlines talk to each other about these scenarios and that they have plans built for each of these.

Nice job Jay man! Puts most believable spin on current splattering of crap from CAL. Starting the intelligence/counter intelligence office, with new hires.

Latest resources

Back