cactus callsign driving controllers nuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it's just as dumb as BTA being jetlink.

The BTA code came from Britt Air - a HUF-based regional. The BTA certificate is what ExpressJet originally operated under.

Better than Jetlink calling themself "Britt Air" on the radio, just because their 3-letter is BTA...

The BTA code came from Britt Air - a HUF-based regional. The BTA certificate is what ExpressJet originally operated under.

Better than Jetlink calling themself "Britt Air" on the radio, just because their 3-letter is BTA...

I know where it came from as i used to work there, it's just a pain to look at vs. dal=delta, jbu=jetblu ect... like i said they'll get over it....

poopy pants

my last "us air" flt was on aug 30th and then i had 4 days off. back to work on the 4th for a 4 day and in the north east things were a mess wrt to the call sign. most controllers just called us "us air###" and i'd either answer back "cactus##" about 70% of the time but the rest i'd slip back to US air. It got worse as the day went on (5 legs - 12 hour duty day early show) and i became tired.

the next few days were spent flying further west where there are less US flights and it didn't seem like a problem. by day 4, today I finally got cactus into my thick skull and maybe only answered US 1 or 2 times. it also seems like cactus is sinking in with everyone else (controllers/pilots) on the east coast.

in a week or 2 (unless you've been on vacation or leave) knowbody will know the diff.

let it die

life is hard.

city codes always give me fits. i mean...MCO = Orlando??? MCI = Kansas City??? SNA = Orange County??? etc, etc.

crazy stuff.

Just returned from MMMX today. The fine folks in Mazatlan, Monterey & Mexico had no problem with "Cactoos". Is the call sign "Quitcherbitchin" still available??

life is hard.

city codes always give me fits. i mean...MCO = Orlando??? MCI = Kansas City??? SNA = Orange County??? etc, etc.

crazy stuff.

Sometimes there's a reason: McCoy Army Airfield in Orlando.

Sometimes you gotta wonder: MCI - is KCI taken?

Generally speaking, though, airports without numbers in their identifiers are boring. So at least some things are constant.

MCI stands for Mid-Continent International,the name of the airport when it first opened.

PHXFLYR

Latest resources

Back