• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My digits were:

Total: 3500
PIC: 2400
ME Jet: 2300
Types: B737, B707
Currently an IP on the C-40 (B737-700) in the reserves
All military, but furloughed from American a loooooooooong time ago.

I have a good friend at Cactus who's a Bus captain and he pounded down the door for me. Got the app. after three months, he walked it in with a letter of rec and I got the interview call about three weeks later.

If you don't have someone who can walk your stuff in I'd recommend contributing to the Kit Darby retirement fund and meeting Tracy Takara at an Airinc conference. She's a great gal and a couple of guys I interviewed with said they thought that was how they got the call.

I'm excited to go to PHX. Everyone was extremely nice, professional and positive about the future. Plus, they just ordered 22 new Buses!

Good luck to ya'll.

thruthemurk said:
<<While several regional airlines do put you up in training, I'm not aware of any Major or National/LCC type airlines that put you up in training unless you're in training away from your base-i.e. you did sim training in MIA instead of PHX.>>

Jetblue does. American does. Delta does. Alaska does. Southwest?? not sure.

Delta, no. Southewest, yes. Alaska, I don't think so-but don't quote me on that.

Saabslime,

All of the information you are looking for is readily available and you should have had it prior to your interview. I'm not busting your chops, just stating facts. You are already starting your career at AWA on the wrong foot. Simply because you didn't do your homework, you now have additional expenses that you were not prepared for. As a result of not being prepared, you have developed a negative attitude about your future employer. Definitely not the way to start a new career.

Ignore the comments of PHXFLYR and cactuspilot. If you show up at AWA on the first day with their attitudes, you are doomed from the start. I've been at AWA for a little over four years and I still can't figure out why they were so miserable. They seem to be happy at SWA/Jet Blue and good for them. I guess it's good for us too. Some of us moved up a couple of spots and the bad attitude cancer is reduced.

I think we could have done a little better as far as our contract goes. However, we are starting to see some scheduling improvements with the new agreement and I'm sure we'll see more as the rest of the contract takes effect.

The training at AWA is second to none, about 95% of our pilots are a blast to fly with, we're profitable, and we're hiring......it's not perfect but it ain't bad.

Guppiedriver said:
Saabslime,

You are already starting your career at AWA on the wrong foot. Simply because you didn't do your homework, you now have additional expenses that you were not prepared for. As a result of not being prepared, you have developed a negative attitude about your future employer.
I did do my homework on AWA. I wouldn't have applied or accepted the job offer if I didn't want to be here. Like I said before, this is the ONE and only area I didn't have any info on. I guess I just assumed a couple of things...........shame on me and lesson learned. The initial oh s*it has worn off and I'm cool with having to pay for a room.:) If this is the norm then so be it. Don't let my earlier post fool you. I don't have a negative attitude about AWA, I'm coming in happy as hell to be here and have high hopes for the future. Also looking forward to never having to shovel a foot of snow off the driveway ever again!:D Take care and hope to see you on the line soon.

By the way, know any crashpads that are looking for another body? Would only be for approx. 5 months until I get the family packed up and moved down there. I'll have wheels so thats not an issue.

Last edited:
Saabslime said:
By the way, know any crashpads that are looking for another body? Would only be for approx. 5 months until I get the family packed up and moved down there. I'll have wheels so thats not an issue.
There are a bunch of crashpads advertised on the information board in the crew lounge.

Welcome aboard. I'll probably see you around the school house in September.

Guppiedriver said:
Saabslime,

All of the information you are looking for is readily available and you should have had it prior to your interview. I'm not busting your chops, just stating facts. You are already starting your career at AWA on the wrong foot. Simply because you didn't do your homework, you now have additional expenses that you were not prepared for. As a result of not being prepared, you have developed a negative attitude about your future employer. Definitely not the way to start a new career.

Ignore the comments of PHXFLYR and cactuspilot. If you show up at AWA on the first day with their attitudes, you are doomed from the start. I've been at AWA for a little over four years and I still can't figure out why they were so miserable. They seem to be happy at SWA/Jet Blue and good for them. I guess it's good for us too. Some of us moved up a couple of spots and the bad attitude cancer is reduced.

I think we could have done a little better as far as our contract goes. However, we are starting to see some scheduling improvements with the new agreement and I'm sure we'll see more as the rest of the contract takes effect.

The training at AWA is second to none, about 95% of our pilots are a blast to fly with, we're profitable, and we're hiring......it's not perfect but it ain't bad.
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

BLAH BLAH.

Guppie, you are correct about a few things. The training at cactus is among the best. The pilots are among the best too, in and out of a jet. Great F/A's too. Great Maint people too.
I got there with a big smile on my face, left 6 yrs. later with an even bigger smile.
I'm no math wizard but isn't 49% almost half of 100? Don't be so naive.
Where were you when DP told the pilots that things wouldn't change and to leave if they didn't like it? Boy, I would want a refund if that was all I learned in business school. Go Team!!
I would guess there were about 50 of us left in the last couple years, not because we were good or smart....just real lucky.
These new guys can figure it out for themselves, i'm not going to bs them.
That's my last post on this subject.

How many in your bundle of interviewees made the cut...past the sim, and the board. I interview the 27th. Any info that hasn't been posted here in the recent past, or anything new would be of great help.

Latest resources

Back