C90B vs F90

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mike1mc

I have a customer looking to purchase a King Air. We were originally looking at an older C90B, but also considered the idea of an F90 to take advantage of the higher TAS. Can anyone offer any pros/cons for either? Ideally we are looking for something in the $1.1M range (hence the older aircraft), but I know realistically we can be looking to spend as much as $1.5M. We already manage/charter a 2000 C90B.

I ran the C90B and F90 at the same time and thought the F-90 was far superior. It was on average 30 Kts faster. It needed slightly more runway but it never was a factor with us. We had LA-97 and it was a fantastic airplane. If you can get a F90-1 it is even better. I thought it rode much better than the C90-B and it was the nicest flying of all of the King Air's. It is very sporty.

I have no numbers to support it, but a friend of mine who operated both for a corporate department for a while actually told me that the F-90 was cheaper to operate on a per-mile basis thanks to its added speed. Like I said, I don't have numbers, but I'm sure you could find them in the Conklin and DeDecker books to back it up.

400A said:
I ran the C90B and F90 at the same time and thought the F-90 was far superior. It was on average 30 Kts faster. It needed slightly more runway but it never was a factor with us. We had LA-97 and it was a fantastic airplane. If you can get a F90-1 it is even better. I thought it rode much better than the C90-B and it was the nicest flying of all of the King Air's. It is very sporty.

I flew both as well. My take on it is just the opposite of yours. I hated the F90. The one we had a wing spar strap on it and it slowed it down. The C90 I was flying had been a mod on it that allowed it to run at higher temps, therefore run faster. The speed difference between the two was 7 knots. The F90 burned a ton more fuel than the C90.

Keep in mind that I have flown all types of king airs 90 A100and B100 200 and 350 and the next to the A100 the F90 was the worst I have flown.

Couldn't you get a C90B up to the performance (or at least close) of an F90 through a Blackhawk -135 engine swap? Don't know if this puts you over the price range you're considering (although if the existing engines have some time left on them, you can get a partial refund).

I agree with what Mile high said. The only reason our C90B was cheaper to operate was because it was brand new and still under warranty.

I also thought the F-90 performed better in simulated single engine operations during check rides as well. Fortunately, I did not fly either one of them in an actual engine out operation.

-135 engine upgrades would be very expensive and the money spent would not be retained on resale.

It is my understanding that a F90-1 will do 270KTAS. Ours used to do 260KTAS on a regular basis.

I have flown all versions of King Air's as well, except the B-100. I flew enough other garrett powdered turbo props to know I would not like it.

I did not fly a -90 with the spar strap, but like you said, we had a 200 with it and it would only do around 255-260 wide open.

Increased ITT's are good for performance, but it will smart when you get the bill at HSI. We always ran ours cool.

Not interested in doing an C90 -135 conversion as the cost would not out-weigh the benefit for the customer. An F-90 is apprx the same price as an older C90A so we were weighing the option there.

From the numbers I have, the F-90 was approx $150-200 and hour more expensive to operate than a C90A. Aquisition cost was about the same for a slightly newer model C90 than F90. Any "gotchas" when looking to purchase older King Airs? Thanks for the help!

mike1mc said:
Not interested in doing an C90 -135 conversion as the cost would not out-weigh the benefit for the customer. An F-90 is apprx the same price as an older C90A so we were weighing the option there.

From the numbers I have, the F-90 was approx $150-200 and hour more expensive to operate than a C90A. Aquisition cost was about the same for a slightly newer model C90 than F90. Any "gotchas" when looking to purchase older King Airs? Thanks for the help!

Remember to equate that to cost per mile. Both are good aircraft. Gotchas are overhaul, Hot sections, gear overhaul and prop overhaul. And of be sure and get a good prebuy at a shop of YOUR choosing that knows King Airs very well.
also have the windshields checked. (VERY EXPENSIVE) Borescope the engines at minimum, split them if they will let you. King air motors are prone to FOD if someone has been a heavy reverse user. Be picky about the boots too.

How about an E90? C90 airframe and wings with F90 engines? Is that right?? I'm not quite sure, but I've heard numerous people say that was the best 90 model ever made.

Latest resources

Back