C172 into Orlando International

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ericpj14

I am planning on flying into Orlando International this weekend to pick up my dad. I will be flying a C172 and was planning on going to SIgnature as an FBO. I will be going IFR, but was wondering if anyone had experience with this sort of thing or had an advice/discouragement. Thanks in advance.

Maintain best forward speed! :)

I have used Signature in West Palm Beach, and they are a great FBO. Make sure you check on landing fees for MCO. Although I have only landed Orlando's smaller airports I have heard many conflicting stories about how friendly MCO is to general aviation.

Ali

MCO is fairly accomadating to GA traffic, they have 4 roughly parrlell runways so getting in and out shouldn't be a problem, and signature is a great FBO.

I fly small aircraft into primary class B airports pretty regularly, so I'll advise a few things, though most of them are common sense. First, it is good that you're going IFR-that will make it easier for the controllers to plan ahead to fit you in. Second, make sure you are very familiar with the airport's procedures if possible. For example, if winds are ___, you assume that runways _____ are in use. This helps with general situational awareness, and is important with the third piece of advice I have: remember that when you're on the ground, the flight is only half over. GA pilots can make themselves pretty dangerous by not knowing where they're taxiing, which brings up this: if you are not sure of something (being cleared to land, what aircraft you're supposed to be following, route of taxi, ANYTHING) please ASK the controller and get it right! Also, be sure you are familiar with wake turbulence avoidance. Other than that, stick to your good IFR habits and it will be fun. As long as you are smart and proffessional, no pilot flying heavier iron or an impatient controller will care how big your destination airport is. I've never had a hard time flying into MCO, it's so spread out and never seems to be overly busy. If you're a little apprehensive that's good, it means you're probably not careless. But after you do this, if you do it right, you'll realize how simple it was and you'll grow as a pilot.

I have done a couple of instrument approaches at MCO in a Duchess and they were both after midnight. I was told that the MCO controllers don’t like GA aircraft in their pattern during the day. I would think even more-so on the weekends. If they let you do the approach you will have to do it at your maximum forward speed, which in a 172 is considerably less than that Delta 767 doing s-turns behind you on final.

MCO has 3 parallel runways and a 4th under construction on the far east side. Be ready to have a back-up plan. Orlando Executive is about 14 miles to the north. Your father might have to catch a taxi and meet you there in the event the MCO guys say no. At any rate good-luck, it will be interesting.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

If you are going to MCO to full stop, they will accommadate you, but may ask you to fly final at 140 kias! (Maintain best forward speed.)

Signature is fine, very anal about security, but you are at a major international airport, so it is understood.

Landing fees and airport taxes are applied to the fuel purchase...make sure you buy fuel (I think 25 gal min. at almost $3.50/hr last time I was there) or they will "pork" you with the landing fee!

Review getting your departure clearance and be prepared for vectors, altitude restrictions, etc and don't freak when you are facing a 767 opposite you on the runway at the hold short line...

Enjoy!

Airport diagram

Look at MCO's airport diagram before you're even in the air. Know where your FBO is already. When you get there, pay attention to your taxiway exit so you'll know which way to go to get to the fbo.

MCO and GA

The Orlando controllers won’t care too much, the only thing they really don’t like are practice approaches. But you are going to land not just shoot the approach and touch and go. So I would not anticipate any problems. Be ready for them to bring you in 90 degrees to the landing runway, and then turn you in last minuet. Have fun and watch for wake turbulence.

StrykerFL said:

MCO has 3 parallel runways and a 4th under construction on the far east side. Be ready to have a back-up plan. Orlando Executive is about 14 miles to the north. Your father might have to catch a taxi and meet you there in the event the MCO guys say no. At any rate good-luck, it will be interesting.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hmm I was under the impression that they finished it. But the MCO guys should let them it as long as it's not a practice flight, I know people that take C152s there.

PA-44-typed: Is that a Riddle Seminole, that is it doing on grass I thought those were forbidden to take Riddle aircraft to. Kind of stupid rule so I don't care if it is.

Latest resources

Back