• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C172 into Orlando International

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MCO is no big deal. Expect 18R or 36L. I've made the flight numerous times in a PA 28 and never had them ask for anything more than best forward speed. I'd suggest Galaxy as there are no fees and fuel is cheaper. You can use their crew car to pick up pax at the main terminal.

It's not an ERAU Seminole... Just a standard Piper marketing shot. You can see the New Piper logo in the corner.

*edited for typo

Last edited:
If you are already comfortable in controlled airspace, you should not have a problem.

I like Galaxy at PBI, so if the culture is the same at Orlando, go there.

Best forward speed is important, that's why it is being mentioned several times. I used to take Archers and Skyhawks into PHL, and used to shoot the ILS at over 130 kts. Break out, power back, flaps, land. Be fully configured at the DH, or shortly after that if you break out just above minimums.

Whatever you do, exit the runway promptly. I had to go around at Dulles last month with two important pax on board, because a commuter dawdled on the runway. I don't need to tell you what that cost in fuel money. Make friends, and keep your speed up, and exit ASAP. Everyone will like you.

Study that airport diagram. Check the taxiways at your normal landing distance, and where the FBO is located. Do you have to cross runways to get there? If ever in doubt, ask for a progressive taxi. They'd rather hold your hand for a few minutes than pick up a pen and fill out a runway incursion report.

Do everything right, and you will look back on this flight fondly.

Good luck.

Last edited:
MCO

We took FSI students into MCO when I was there ten years ago. It was no problem at all. We never went IFR, but never had a problem at all entering VFR.

I agree with the others about doing what you can to maintain best forward speed until you hit the FAF and even afterwards. You might consider maintain 100+ kts until short final and even consider a no-flap landing.

You should have no problems. Enjoy the flight and let us know how it went.

Everyone has already covered most of the important stuff. As far as major airports with Class B airspace go, MCO is probably one of the easier to deal with. As someone already said, you can plan on 18R/36L for arrival. Most airlines use 17/35 and 18L/36R (although they sometimes use 18R/36L for arrivals). The FBO's are just to the west, so you shouldn't have to deal with crossing runways or much air carrier traffic, though you will be around the cargo guys.

Try to arrive early afternoon if you can. The push times for arrivals are typically around noon and after 5pm. Controllers down in Florida are friendly and relaxed for the most part. I see quite a lot of GA traffic at MCO, so you will be fine. Just to echo what everyone else said, keep your speed up and be aware of wake turbulence.

Good Luck!

flyboy said:
Orlando Executive is only 5-6 miles north of MCO.

Yes but ironiclly it's harder to get in and out of than MCO. Half and hour on the ground is not uncommon on the weekends.

Has anyone else had "issues" with controllers in the SFB tower?

I went up there the other night and they were real "Richards".

Chunk

Latest resources

Back