• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-17 lands at wrong airport.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think if you fly long enough you can see how this could happen.
Not proud to admit I have been close once. At least they landed on a runway and not a taxiway.

Yeah before it becomes a bash fest remember many 121 crew have touched down at the wrong airport/runway/on a taxiway.

And like the guy above said - I'll admit that several weeks ago I rolled out on a visual app. lined up nicely with the large lighted X on 36R at KMCO. About 3 miles out as I went to deselect speed I noticed the CA giving me this look and at the same time my blind a$$ noticed the the flaming X and slide over to the left.

Listen - there were some birds over there on 36L final and I wanted to avoid them - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. But I bought the first round that night.

A few years back there was such a rash of civilian aircraft landing at McDill instead of Peter'O that TPA put a note about not confusing the two on their ATIS. Fine was $125 for landing at McDill, wonder how much this will cost the AF?

Considering the weight bearing capacity of the runway at P.O. Knight is single/20K and the venerable C17 is TT w/basic wt ~285K (+whatever fuel/cargo they were carrying), I'm sure the airfield manager will be submitting a claim to the USAF for unspecified damages to his asphalt field (despite the news media's reports of no damage).

The pilot was cleared for the ILS into MacDill. It is going to be pretty hard for him to explain how the ILS at MacDill took him to the wrong airport....especially with a four-star general in the back!

Always shoot an instrument approach, you'll always land on the right runway..
the old fukkr that taught me that was a pain in the ass to fly with but he was right

I can only imagine what the voice recorder would have recorded?

Before touchdown...

Commander: GO AROUND!

First Officer: TOO LATE...

Commander: AH **EXPLETIVE!**.... AH **EXPLETIVE!**.... AH **EXPLETIVE!**. We just **expletive** up!!!!

After touchdown...

Commander: (looking at the end of the runway fast approaching)...Is this **expletive-ing** thing ever going to stop!!!!

After coming to a stop...

Commander: I wonder if the airlines are hiring?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back