• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-17 lands at wrong airport.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I almost did this a few months ago! I bid off on it initially because we were held up high, and I was in a hurry to get down. Luckily something didn't seem right and I cross checked the glass and saw that this runway was a few miles short of MacDill, but on the same heading. I could see how this could happen if a crew were task saturated and TIRED from the abuse TACC puts crews through nowadays. 24+ hour duty days are the norm, with sliding take off times. Thank goodness for the 12 huge anti skid breaks.

I think if you fly long enough you can see how this could happen.
Not proud to admit I have been close once. At least they landed on a runway and not a taxiway.

I just read that there 19 crew members on this airplane!

I thought the C-17 just needed two pilots and a loadmaster.

True statement, although rarely functional. Most trips are augmented missions, hence three pilots and two loads are the norm.

As to why 19 "crewmembers" the answer could be Dead headers, Areovac Crews or any other host of iterations of the above.

Lucy, you got some expaining to do :).... Always follow the magenta line. When they inputted the airport data for landing, if they put in the wrong airport, the runway length would have been a big tell, just glad there safe.

Cheers

Koko

I was in DFW (taxiing to 17R) when an Air Force 737 landed there but was supposed to be at JRB Fort Worth. The comments from the peanut gallery on ground freq were pretty funny.

No f r e a k i n way. I flew out of both, JRB is like 13000 x 300, looks nothing like DFW.

Latest resources

Back