Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's quite an endorsement,

FlyFastLiveSlow said:
Grumman Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pork Chop!!!

A fun choice

psysicx said:
I thought the Cherokee 6 was a good 4 seat aircraft?
Gosh guys, I thought that he was asking about 4 seaters that could carry 4 passengers inexpensively. How about a Cessna Caravan? We're giving suggestions like Vikings, Tigers, light twins, etc. That's not very useful help IMHO - just because an airplane happens to have 4 seats doesn't mean that you can legally put 4 passengers in it with enough fuel to make it a useful X-C airplane. Vikings, Bonanzas, Mooneys, Tigers, etc have 4 seats but when you top off the tanks they become 2 and 3 place airplanes. Are there any full fuel and legal 4 seat airplanes? Yes, but they are few and far between - like I mentioned earlier, the Cessna 182 can usually do it; same with the Cherokee 235/236; the Stinson 103-3 Station Wagons as well. Also, some of the Commanche 180s and 250s will do it.

If you move up the ladder to 6-seaters then about all of them will carry full fuel and 4 passengers but not 6 passengers. But that wasn't the question that was asked.

As for flying just a little over weight or out of CG, well let's not even go there.

'Sled

the 300 hp Cherokee 6 would be the better choice out of the above. Fixed gear, less MX costs and room to grow.

True, but then the original post said "inexpensive", and the 260 hp Sixes are $20-40K cheaper than a 300 hp. And they make a good 4 place + bags. In fact, they don't run much more than a Dakota, if any.

Then we all found out "inexpensive" meant $110K or so, that is the low-average price for a decent 182RG. And if you're willing to pay $100k for an airplane, plus pay the insurance premium for a 100 hr Private Pilot to fly one, why the heck would you worry about the difference between 11 gph and 13 gph???? 200 hrs per year X 2gph X $3/gal = about 1/4 his annual insurance premium.

Heck, save yourself $20k on the price of a 182RG and buy a Commanche 250-260...

Compairing some of these aircraft via Vref at AOPA's web site;

(assume 5000TT and mid-time engine, typical period avionics and condition)

1980 C182, cruise 144 kts, average retail $99.9K

1980 C182RG, cruise 158 kts, average retail $104K

1978 PA32-260, cruise 138 kts, average retail $97.6K

1980 PA28-236, cruise 144 kts, average retail $96.8K

1970 PA24-260, cruise 157 kts, average retail $89.9K

bigD said:
I still think a fixed legged 182 is the best bet. An RG gives you an extra 10 knots, but when it comes to insurance, a student pilot or low time private pilot will pay for it and then some.

Big D, I owned both, the RG is 18kts faster at 156 kts, and I never ever had a problem with the gear. It also costs 2 grand a year for insurance. I suppose a new pilot they would charge more but you can't beat it.

TDTURBO said:
Big D, I owned both, the RG is 18kts faster at 156 kts, and I never ever had a problem with the gear. It also costs 2 grand a year for insurance. I suppose a new pilot they would charge more but you can't beat it.

You must have had a fast RG, or the one I've flown is a slow one, because I couldn't ever plan on faster than about 145 at 8000' or so.

bigD said:
You must have had a fast RG, or the one I've flown is a slow one, because I couldn't ever plan on faster than about 145 at 8000' or so.

Actually, mine flys at 160kts. I do have gap seals and vaRIOUS SPEED MODS THOUGH.

I would strongly suggest you get that plane rigged!

80% chance that plane is way out of rig, if you need a good place, PM me!

ShyFlyGuy said:
I've got a client who is looking for a "real 4-seater" for a low price. Cost of operating is a factor, as it is always. Off the top of my head, I suggested the 182RG and the Twin-Comanchee, but he's a student pilot and the twin is not extremely feasable right now. What comes to mind to you's folks? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Shy

Grumman Tiger, real 4 seater, 140 KTAS, 10 GPH, fixed prop, fixed gear. Get an early 90s one if you can.

Scott

Usually hard to get a four seater that will actually carry four with baggage and full fuel. I think the 206 might be a really good choice. They actually fly a little nicer than a 182 ( the longer the cessna the better they handle ) and will carry anything you can pack in it.

How about a baby bonanza?

Something around an early 60's be-33 Debonair. 225 HP, 150 knots easy, 12-14 gph, Auto Gas STC available. May have to spend a bit of $$ if you are looking for low time, but holds value and lots of support out there. Sure maint on Beech aircraft can get costly but we have hauled 4 people, bags and full fuel out of many high alt airports and she will take it.

sstearns2 said:
Grumman Tiger, real 4 seater, 140 KTAS, 10 GPH, fixed prop, fixed gear. Get an early 90s one if you can.

Scott

I agree, except I worked on them for a few years and would recommend a '79 with aviaionics upgrades.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back