• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Buying A Real 4-Seater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oH, you know, I have been reading this and I agree a 182 is a good plane.

I took my primary in a tri-gear Maule. That was a fun, useful plane. You could get into and out of most anywhere, it was tri-gear, so no tail dragger stuff. They have 3 passenger doors, and a cargo door. You can get the fixed prop 180 HP models cheap, however, I would recommend the C/S prop 180 HP (the plane I flew), it was much faster than a 172. For more speed, add more horsepower, get an MT7-235. Gets off the ground REALLY quick.

On a windy day, I used to hold it on the ground until I was up to 60, then pop the nose up, and climb like a banshee!!:p

Dakota is a great plane. If he can spend a little more Beech f33/A or A36. easy to fly and dependable. Stay away from cessnas.

klingon67 said:
Stay away from cessnas.

You're telling a first time aircraft owner and student pilot to stay away from the safest, most reliable, most stable, most cost efficient, most mechanic friendly line of aircraft ever concieved? As a student pilot presolo insurance on my 172 was $1100 a year. 182s are not much more.

Every mechanic in the country has worked on cessna's line. Even a piper.

Why the heck would you send this guy into a Beechcraft complex? (Beech makes a great product, but MX and insurance would be killer)

A 182 or Dakota seems to be the perfect choices for this very NEW and inexperienced aircraft owner.

What do you have to base this on other than ignorance?

"Stay away from cessna" says nothing.

Fixed gear 182's the best. Agreed that the Dakota has a better engine and can probably take more of a nose gear beating if he's not the best stick... I'd go with either one, probably the first one that met my price/location requirements.

Crizz said:
"Stay away from cessna" says nothing.
agree.
Depending on use, after the training, however, I think a 182 is a better plane than the 172. Bullet proof planes, both of them.

sky37d said:
agree.
Depending on use, after the training, however, I think a 182 is a better plane than the 172. Bullet proof planes, both of them.

Yah sounds like a 182 is perfect for this guy.

bigD said:
I still think a fixed legged 182 is the best bet. An RG gives you an extra 10 knots, but when it comes to insurance, a student pilot or low time private pilot will pay for it and then some.
Right-on, bidD.

My 84 year old Dad recently lost his medical, and has asked me to relocate his 1976 creampuff C-182 to my hanger and sell it. Believe it or not, it is an immaculately maintained 11,000 hour airframe with no damage history. Almost 10,000 hours were put on by Mobil Oil as pipeline patrol and a test bed for Mobil One (now discontinued) synthetic aviation oil. Mobil stripped the plane down to almost bare metal every 2,500 hours and replaced parts as necessary, as part of their extensive maintenance program. The plane looks and flys like new. It has a factory new engine (200 hours), nice paint, new windshield and glass, decent interior and avionics. It's alway been hangered, and it shows.

Of course the high airframe time will be discounted in the price. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Crizz are we a little hostile? I just stated If he could afford it the Beech is a great plane; much better than any cessna. Im not ignorant I just think cessnas are tin can pieces of junk .sorry you get so offended . You probably drive a ford also Good Day

klingon67 said:
Crizz are we a little hostile? I just stated If he could afford it the Beech is a great plane; much better than any cessna. Im not ignorant I just think cessnas are tin can pieces of junk .sorry you get so offended . You probably drive a ford also Good Day

No hostility at all. I just hate to see a whole thread encouraging a guy to get into a 182 (which I happen to agree would be a great plane) and then you just blindly say "stay away from cessna"

What does this have to do with Ford? I'd love to talk cars with you, but that might need to be in a different thread in a different category. (For the record, I think that Ford IS a tin can we can agree on)

CE205/206 - I know it has 6 seats but it is one of my all-time favorites.

Also consider the R172K (210HP CE172) not terribly fast but good pull.

Latest resources

Back