Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
I've got a client who is looking for a "real 4-seater" for a low price. Cost of operating is a factor, as it is always. Off the top of my head, I suggested the 182RG and the Twin-Comanchee, but he's a student pilot and the twin is not extremely feasable right now. What comes to mind to you's folks? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Shy

well i flew a 172 180 horsepower conversion today and it was booking we were doing something like 130 knots true (i know all these turbine and high performance single people are laughing at me for thinking 130 knots true is bookin) but yea if you can get the 172 180HP conversion its almost a 182 =)

Fixed gear Skylane, or a 260 hp Cherokee 6 if he really needs some room for bags. The step up to a Seneca/Lance/Saratoga from a Cherokee 6 is pretty easy if he decides to do that later.

I have done all of my flight training in a C-182, not RG, Fixed. I say stick with that one and you won't have any problems! Very forgiving, a true "4 seater" good airspeeds, altitude, and it's a CESSNA!!! yay

BigD, thanks for the wise words. I doubt he'll be buying within the next 4-8 weeks, so he'll probibally be a private pilot by then. I know that to some, the 182RG would seem to be a "big" aircraft, but if you can fly a 152, you can fly the 182/182RG. I've had a student in the past buy a 182RG a few weeks after his private pilot checkride and has done very well in the aircraft.

As for the other suggestions, he wants to keep the purchase price under $90,000, but may go to the $100,000 range. The 172/180 conversion still can't seat four full-grown people with lots of fuel. The 182 is a good suggestion, but there is a strong possibility for a leaseback for the 182RG over the fixed gear. As for the Cherokee 6, it's a bit slow for the fuel-flow. He's going to have four people abord, but rarely more. Keep thinking...

Shy

you could always go for a nice TBM-700 no type rating required and im sure the nice 300kts at FL290 will be fast enough for him after he gets his ins. rating =)

I still think a fixed legged 182 is the best bet. An RG gives you an extra 10 knots, but when it comes to insurance, a student pilot or low time private pilot will pay for it and then some.

bigD said:
I still think a fixed legged 182 is the best bet. An RG gives you an extra 10 knots, but when it comes to insurance, a student pilot or low time private pilot will pay for it and then some.

Ditto,

Also the retractable gear adds a good bit of maintence. There isn't any problems wiht the 182 RG, but jacking the plane, swinging the gear, adjusting it, ect. can add a full day to an annual.

The Cardinal is a much better airplane than a 180hp Skyhawk, faster and far more comfortable (wider cabin than a Skylane). Most have useful loads around 980lbs. And of course with its flush rivets, no struts, and long thin wing the Cardinal if far prettier than its bumpy, strut encumbered sisters.

I don't think you can get a good C182RG for under $100.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back