• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Building Time!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you cut to the chase it all boils down to one salient point: DCI Academy will guarantee you a legitimate opportunity to get hired at an excellent jet national with only 1200/200. You still have to earn the job but it is a legitimate opportunity. No matter how much money you save by doing the FBO route you aren't going to be hired at a place like Comair unless you are an academy grad or until you get at least 3000 hours and some 121 time elsewhere. If you can afford to go to DCI Academy, do it.

Last edited:
hey Whirlwind

what ghetto ass regional did your friends get picked up with 1200-1500TT? Gulfstream? GLA??

Another important factor of the "academy vs. FBO" argument is that at an academy, you will be around more people in a given day who are getting hired somewhere. that equals more contacts, more various opportunities. I went to DCI academy, and most of the guys I went through with are with other airlines than comair, and most got their job b/c they flew with someone who was their flight instructor b4 going there. In this job market, contacts are almost as important as a bunch of flight time!!! just to think about....

Mookie
:cool:

so with 3000/500 can I go to DCI Academy so I can maybe get A F*^&%#$ INTERVIEW??????? How would this work?

just my 2 cents worth but if you have a good job with MEDICAL BENEFITS (which few people on this board mention) for you and your family then maybe you should just keep flying as a dream. Maybe get one of your kids involved at an early age. If you are 33 then you are looking at a minimum of 8 years or so before moving up to a national or major carrier if things go well. With all the pilots out there both military and civilian looking for jobs the competition is going to be very difficult to say the least. Be prepared to have low pay and long hours for a long long time. Missed birthdays, holidays, soccer games etc. etc. for at least the few years is going to be the norm. I missed four Xmas in row. I am not complaining I did what I needed to do. But I can tell you it put a very HEAVY STRAIN on my marriage. If you are established in a career then maybe just flight instruct or maybe do some part-time 135 stuff for the local fbo!! I know someone who does that and he would rather be an airline pilot but of course but at least he gets to sit right seat in citation ever once in awhile. Once again my 2 cents !! Good luck

One other suggestion for you might be a place like Mesa Airlines Pilot Development . This is a 141 school operated by Mesa Airlines. It is an 18-month program where grads finish with their Commercial-Instrument ratings and an A.S. in Aviation Technology. Grads can interview with Mesa Airlines upon course completion. Contrary to what you might have heard, the only promise Mesa makes to new students is they might get "the interview." The truth is, the interview is yours to lose. You have to screw up badly not to get it, though you have to jump through myriad hoops to get it. I saw it happen, though, with one of my students. The best recommendation for MAPD is that it works.

The program has my vote hands down. By far the quickest way to get to a regional present day... Don't believe all the complete bu!!sh!t about "300hour pilots" are unsafe in the right seat of a RJ" blah blah blah... Total nonsense and Mesa has and will continue to prove this to be a "joke" of a statement and completely false. Cheers to Mr. Castle for continuing to prove many wrong.. I seriously would look into this program if I were you.

good luck

3 5 0

Re: Followup for whirlwind

mcooper said:
Were your friends recent or pre 9/11?
Recent, in the past three weeks. The jobs are out there, if you really want them, but you have to weed past the masses. :)

Lrjtcaptain said:
hey Whirlwind
what ghetto ass regional did your friends get picked up with 1200-1500TT? Gulfstream? GLA??

What's wrong with Great Lakes???

Latest resources

Back