• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Building Time!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
well, i guess nothing is wrong with GLA. but with the market the way it is, and with the time listed above ive seen alot of friends with low time go hit GLA and Gulfstream. Gulfstream is a good way to tarnish your career before it begins. GLA is okay i guess but they dont seem to be going anywhere. You see most regionals moving up in the world. New a/c better routes. GLA is stuck with the 1900 and a few 120's but dont seem to keep any contracts they once had. Dont even get me started on Doug Voss.

a friend of mine flies for GLA. I hear nothing but horror stories. But hey, if you can find a job that will hire a pilot with a CMEL and no multi time whatso ever then that says alot about there company.

First, Lrjtcaptain I love your avatar. :D

Second, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the reason you took a job like GLA was to get your first tubine time, your first 121 time, and your first non-CFI job. (the pay isn't great, but it is still 50% better than what the CFIs are making down here)

I don't think any of the CFIs who went there did so because they have dreams of flying for them, rather they see it as a stepping stone to something better.

In any case, the route map on their web site seems reasonable in size, and the 1900 is a common enough airplane. It sounds like something reasonable enough to do for two or three years, until something better comes along.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, I don't know the fixed-wing world as well as I do the rotor world.

Fly Safe!

Hired at Great Lakes without mulit time?

It may have happened, but I've never heard of it. EVERYONE I knew there was hired with AT LEAST 100 multi time. The better your training (eg., UND Graduate), the less you needed. But no one I ever talked to was hired with less than 100 MEL.

As for ghetto-ass - NO DOUBT brother. But only in terms of the endless stream of Bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**e you had to be willing to put up with. The people who work there (besides maybe Voss and his lackies), were almost always second to none. And you can't argue that filling a logbook-a-year with PIC turbine time is ever a bad thing.

But the sad truth is that that company will probably never go anywhere while the rest of the industry (regional) seems to thrive - EVEN with Ratheon running the show now.

Out motto: Great Lakes - Flying yesterday's aircraft into tommorow! It'll never change.

All that said, you can't pay enough (PFT pun intended) to get the kind of professional and life experience you get at Lakes in a year or two. To me, it was well worth it.

I'd do it again. Sometimes I wish I had never left there. Life would be good as an instructor/check airman right about now. At least better than flying the Navajo and Tomahawk for pennies a week.

(Just had to defend my GLA brothers and sisters. They may LIVE in the ghetto, but we all go slumming-for-fun every once in a while.)

I am tired of reading posts by family men who start, "I always wanted to fly..." Well, you have a family now so there is your dream. Fly in your spare time but don't motgage your families future for the "dream" job. I love what I do but it would not be worth sacrificing a family. And, if you think I'm joking in my class of flight students about 8 out of 10 stayed married. That was pre-9/11 when hiring was looking up. If you have a good job, buy a plane and fly for fun and maybe instruct. Sorry to sound negative-

You're tired? I'm tired of reading self righteous posts from a-holes like you, making comments about stuff you weren't asked about! It's pretty fricking easy to say what you say when you're already there! You have no idea about my family and I never said "my dream was to fly". I already do. I also stated that I'm not interested in opinions!

So, I would ask that in the future, you be respectuful of people's posts that are looking for constructive ideas. If you're tired of posts like this then please, STFU, skip them and don't waste your time replying to them if they bother you.

Re: Hired at Great Lakes without mulit time?

ClassG said:
It may have happened, but I've never heard of it. EVERYONE I knew there was hired with AT LEAST 100 multi time. The better your training (eg., UND Graduate), the less you needed. But no one I ever talked to was hired with less than 100 MEL.
The three CFIs who got hired all had over 100 multi time. The fourth one who went, did not get hired as she only has 60 multi time. But she knew that going, it was mostly to support her friends and to have some fun.

All that said, you can't pay enough (PFT pun intended) to get the kind of professional and life experience you get at Lakes in a year or two. To me, it was well worth it.
So what's the deal? If you've got say, 1,500TT and 150 multi, how hard is it to get hired there?

Does all of that total time have to be in airplanes, or does helo time count?

Fly Safe!

Are there ANY happily married (with kids) part 121 pilots out there? Is it really that bad?

If a person isn't happy pushing paper around their cubical shouldn't they at least give flying a try? I'd hate to be at my current desk job 30 years from now without even trying. Y'all can see from my stats that I don't have the "flying-the-line" experience, but I sure do hear a lot about how it's the journey that's fun.

If I do get the chance to fly for GLA, and don't like it, I can always find another desk job.

There's another point for all of us "Career Changers" to keep in mind. We may get started towards one goal and end-up accomplishing something else that is equally rewarding. Who knows maybe part 135, corporate, flight instructing, aircraft sales, or some other type of specialty flying, might just provide the right balance between income and satisfaction we are looking for.

So if there are any family men/women out there, flying at the regionals, what's your secret to keeping all the balls in the air?

Are there some flying jobs that are more family friendly than others........ ok, any that can provide a livable income of about 30 to 40k a year?

Flame suit on, ready for your replies.

Seattle

Re: Hired at Great Lakes without mulit time?

ClassG said:
It may have happened, but I've never heard of it. EVERYONE I knew there was hired with AT LEAST 100 multi time...no one I ever talked to was hired with less than 100 MEL.

lol, yall must be doing some hellacious duty times cause he said in his first post...

Originally posted by Whirlwind
They all got there with between 1,200 and 1,500 hours total time and between 100 and 200 multi.

...me thinks some vacation time is in order ;)

Seattle- Even at the regional level it is a great job and I feel blessed. I am in the process of moving with my wife to my domicle as commuting stinks as a junior Captain. I have roomies at the crashpad on reserve who see their kids 10 days a month! I don't know how they do it! And, you are right, this career can take you in many directions.

Good luck mcooper- you wanted to fly so bad since 10 that you went out and got a career and family. Just don't end up a statistic. It is not all roses on this side of the fence and I was trying to highlight that fact not slam you.

Lakes

I remember when Great Lakes was based in Spencer, Iowa - I assume it is the same GLA that is now in Wyoming. One of my early Riddle students was from Iowa and got a summer internship there. He might have been hired there eventually, too.

I understand that GLA training is extremely tough, as are the working conditions. Also, from what I've read here, a lot of junior-manning. But, as long as it isn't you-know-what and you can put up with it for however long it takes to better yourself, why not?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Latest resources

Back