• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Brown bag lunch" at Island Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No dude its just the lunch thing....Its the fact they pay 20k a year to live in Hawaii. You have to pay for your own hotel in training. They sent me an email it said, "bring a brown bag lunch".Very tacky. Says alot about how the company treats there pilots. The girl told me on the phone that they were having a hard time finding people to interview. Gee I wonder why? Hey there is a open interview slot in October, since I wont be there. You guys can jump all over it.

Dangerkitty said:
Back in the Summer of 2000 when I interviewed with American Airlines and Delta Airlines neither provided lunch for the interviewees.

Maybe I should have turned those interviews down.

American and Delta, you should have turned them down, hindsight is 20/20 so who am I to judge. :rolleyes:

Airlady just thinks that because he paid $60,000 and has 1600 hrs as a CFI he now deserves a job and it should behanded to him, I bet it would be a joy to flya 4 day with him!

There's a lot of people with this attitude in this industry, and all they dois bitch and moan, never take action. I'm glad youdidn't take the interview, I don't work for Island Air but we don't need more people like you flying around.

Airludy

dash8driver said:
have fun looking for students, dining on skittles when its payday and making tomato soup from McD's ketchup packets the rest of the time.
...and when you come crawling back to Island Air for a job all these will fit inside of a brown bag for your lunch.

airludy said:
I bet people would line up to pay for training there too!
Nah. You're thinking of Pac Wings. They'd take you though. You'll get to lift heavy baggage (similar to UPS truck-driver), you'll get to work long, hot hours each day (similar to UPS truck-driver), you get to command (eventually) a vehicle with only one motor (similar to UPS truck-driver) and you can even wear shorts (similar to UPS truck-driver). Maybe you should check them out. E-mail me a resume and I can drop it by their counter later today.

Free lunch

Ironically, your present employer (UPS) does not pay for lunch or transportation to an interview for pilots either and they made 3.6 Billion in profit last year. Could be all of the money they are saving on lunch.

Last edited:
I don't understand why everyone is piling on this guy. He turned down an interview with Island Air.

You never answered his question about how he's going to live in Hawaii on 20k a year. I'm curious myself. Most likely it's by drudging out an existence of staying in a two bedroom crappy apartment with 5 other guys and eating ramen. How is that a step up?

With 2000 hours, and 900 king air, this guy actually could get a good job paying 35k as a SIC in a king air, so this job isn't for him. Should he figure that out after he pays his own way to Hawaii and puts himself up in a hotel for training? You can't jumpseat to Hawaii if you're not currently employed.

labbats said:
I don't understand why everyone is piling on this guy. He turned down an interview with Island Air. ....snipped ....
Yeah and sounded like a crying fool in doing so.

"I mean what a joke, bring your own lunch. I'm interviewing half way across the planet and they want me to worry about finding lunch to bring to the inteview. What I joke! I have more pride than to lower myself to this cheap industry. Its definatly time for a career change." airludy

buster232 said:
Ironically, your present employer (UPS) does not pay for lunch or transportation to an interview for pilots either and they made 3.6 Billion in profit last year. Could be all of the money they are saving on lunch.
Yep. It's all about the "O", as in how you manage the OPTAR.

Latest resources

Back