Breaking Colgan Alpa News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128,

Are you guys going to staple the Colgan pilots if there is a consolidation of the pilot groups?

405 is correct. I left Pinnacle earlier this year. However, I doubt the PCL MEC would push for a staple, but they certainly have every right to at this point. With the CJC pilots unprotected, they pretty much have to live with whatever gets thrown at them. A sad situation, since they could have had ALPA merger policy providing some protection. The 155 really screwed everyone over.

405 is correct. I left Pinnacle earlier this year. However, I doubt the PCL MEC would push for a staple, but they certainly have every right to at this point. With the CJC pilots unprotected, they pretty much have to live with whatever gets thrown at them. A sad situation, since they could have had ALPA merger policy providing some protection. The 155 really screwed everyone over.

Please see post #188 and convince me.

Please see post #188 and convince me.

Convince you of what exactly? I stated that the Colgan pilots have absolutely zero protection now in the event of a seniority integration. That's not an opinion that requires "convincing," that's just an outright fact under the law. If the PCL MEC is able to win a grievance or a court case, or is able to negotiate a single list, then they have the ability to achieve a straight-out staple-job. The CJC pilots have absolutly no protection over this. If they had just voted in ALPA last week, then ALPA merger policy would be providing them protection from this as we speak. Instead, the "no" voters have rendered the entire CJC pilot group completely helpless. You can argue endlessly about how effective ALPA is any number of other areas, but in the case of Colgan, the protection of ALPA merger policy is the big-ticket item that they needed desperately.

If ALPA (and other unions) are such a good "product" you shouldn't have to "sell" it. If it's as good as you all say it is, it should sell itself. You'd have pilots and other groups clawing down doors trying to get in.

Apparently, that isn't happening. Ask yourself why.

I have this weird idea that people might actually be able to think for themselves. Crazy idea, I know. Sorry for all of this alternative thinking crap.

There are very few airlines that do not have a union in one form or another. At Colgan, there are no longer pilots working there who had been at unionized airlines. Sorry to say, the pilots don't know any better. Strange though, all the airlines pilots want to go to have unions.

PCL 128 is blowing smoke about a staple of Colgan. The fact of the matter is ALPA is having difficulty combining seniority lists period. Even if they did, it would follow the ALG/Mohawk provision which I doubt would result in a staple. PCL 128 is just trying to scare you guys into voting for ALPA.....

If ALPA (and other unions) are such a good "product" you shouldn't have to "sell" it. If it's as good as you all say it is, it should sell itself. You'd have pilots and other groups clawing down doors trying to get in.

Apparently, that isn't happening. Ask yourself why.

I have this weird idea that people might actually be able to think for themselves. Crazy idea, I know. Sorry for all of this alternative thinking crap.

Exactly 405..... ALPA is a failure and many pilots can see that.... The cheerleaders then come out and tell you that it is your fault, not ALPAs....

Joe if ALPA has failed then so have you. You are fustrated because you don't have the skill set or vision to see this through. You do not know how to convince others in ALPA about your issue...

Because you lack the skillset to bring people together and because you can't solve the problem you go for bottom feeding lawyers and lawsuits....

Many regional ALPA leaders have been trying for 15 years to get ALPA to address the regional/major scope issue. MEC Chairmen from ASA, CMR, and other regionals addressed the first ALPA scope committee in the early 90s about the impending train wreck. The train wreck has now happened and the ALPA cheerleaders like yourself are trying to blame the very people who said this would happen.

While you and PCL128 offer you "sales pitch", most pilots are either apathetic because they don't plan on being at the regionals very long, or they see ALPA for the failure it has become.

Either way, I am going to protect my job thru any legal means possible.... If that harms ALPA, so be it....

And for what it's worth, the current MEC leadership at NWA opposed the NewCo (Compass) debacle.

And for what it's worth, Compass was ALPA's idea:

http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/nwa70.pdf

You know, a status rep. who abandons his pilot group in the middle of negotiations to take a job at a non ALPA carrier says a lot. It not the message you wanted to send, but it speaks volumes nonetheless.

Last edited:
PCL 128 is blowing smoke about a staple of Colgan. The fact of the matter is ALPA is having difficulty combining seniority lists period. Even if they did, it would follow the ALG/Mohawk provision which I doubt would result in a staple. PCL 128 is just trying to scare you guys into voting for ALPA.....

Not sure where you got that idea, Joe. Allegheny-Mohawk LPPs don't apply in this case. The LPPs were a casualty of deregulation. Back in the 60s and 70s, the CAB was able to force the LPPs on merging carriers, but after deregulation, the LPPs are no longer involved unless specifically required by a CBA. Since the CJC pilots have no contract, they have no protection under the LPPs. The PCL MEC has nothing to stop them from using negotiating capital to achieve a list integration and a staple. But, like I said, I doubt the PCL MEC would staple. It would certainly be nice for the CJC pilots to have some assurance of that through a merger policy, though...

And for what it's worth, Compass was ALPA's idea:

http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/nwa70.pdf

Yeah, I know. Compass was the idea of a former MEC that no longer exists. The NWA pilots kicked them out and replaced them with reps that better represent them. The majority of the current MEC and the NWA EVP were not in favor of the Compass deal.

You know, a status rep. who abandons his pilot group in the middle of negotiations to take a job at a non ALPA carrier says a lot. It not the message you wanted to send, but it speaks volumes nonetheless.

I'm not too concerned with what you think about me. The pilots that I represented were happy with the representation that I provided, and that's all that matters to me.

Latest resources

Back