• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brazil Mid-Air Survivor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what are the odds that 4 stupid pilots could be in the same airspace at the same time and same place?

Why does this always start?

My post was not meant as an attack on the crew of the Legacy. There may be a perfectly legit reason for them to be at FL370, such as a block altitude as someone posted. We don't know all the facts yet (and probably won't for a long while.) The cause of this accident could be many things including ATC error.

Still, I found it odd that no one else seemed to find this odd. It is an "unusual" altitude for a westbound plane to be on.

As an aside, I remember reading somewhere an article about how in some ways modern navigation technology (GPS etc) introduces it's own dangers, because navigation is now so accurate that aircraft are almost always exactly on the center of an airway. The old system of VOR's and NDB's was kind of sloppy, so that it was likely that if someone screwed up and two aircraft ended up opposite direction they were unlikely to hit.

Last edited:
what are the odds that 4 stupid pilots could be in the same airspace at the same time and same place?

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but that seems like a ugly thing to say with 155 people dead out in the jungle and no conclusive evidence of what happened. I envy you your error free flying career, and the certitude with which you judge others.

thanks

Murf: you having a bad day, or maybe left yourself logged on somewhere?

Those posts don't sound like your usual self.

Imagine if somebody had said something similar about 2 pilots at MDW, you'd be pretty indignant I'd bet.

FJ

Murf: you having a bad day, or maybe left yourself logged on somewhere?

Those posts don't sound like your usual self.

Imagine if somebody had said something similar about 2 pilots at MDW, you'd be pretty indignant I'd bet.

FJ

I didn't take his quote to leads us to believe these were stupid pilots. If he meant it that way, he's a jerk.

What I took from his comment was that these were most likely very competent pilots that knew what they were doing. Someone else suggested they were at the wrong altitude for direction of flight. I think this was in response to that. I could be wrong though...

ALGFLYR Thanks for the support but I was being a jerk. S. America is the 2nd most dangerous continent to fly on, not counting Antartica. You have to be on your "A" game at all times. Someone wasn't clearing either with their eyes or on the radios. No TCAS I am assuming means you have to be vigilant. I may have been harsh but I have said so now I can't take it back.

I submit the Bay of Bengal for the third most dangerous place... TC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back