Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HowlinMadMurdoc said:
Lowecur,

Midwest has their 717's configured in 2x2 for their Signature Service. Whether or not we make money on those planes is a different story.

HMM
Good point.:)

True...

With the signature service/seating arrangement though, you don't get the same number of seats that an Airtran 717 has (correct me if I'm wrong).

As far as it being a pile of *rap or not -- I'll say the same thing that people have said about the 328 Jet for such a long time - people cuss and swear that it's the velcro jet, doorknob, dorkjet, slower than molasses, etc etc etc...of all the regional jets, though, it's probably the most comfortable one to ride in back. And that, my friend, is what the people care about.

Now, if you're going to knock the 170 on reliability/dispatch issues, that's an entirely different story!

Take care,
-brew3

brew3departure said:
With the signature service/seating arrangement though, you don't get the same number of seats that an Airtran 717 has (correct me if I'm wrong).

As far as it being a pile of *rap or not -- I'll say the same thing that people have said about the 328 Jet for such a long time - people cuss and swear that it's the velcro jet, doorknob, dorkjet, slower than molasses, etc etc etc...of all the regional jets, though, it's probably the most comfortable one to ride in back. And that, my friend, is what the people care about.

Now, if you're going to knock the 170 on reliability/dispatch issues, that's an entirely different story!

Take care,
-brew3

I don't know for sure but I believe Airtran's 717's are configured for 120 or so. So, yes, Midwest's 2x2 seating means we have to charge a higher fare than Airtran to generate the same revenue. However, Midwest is taking a huge chance that not everyone wants to fly in a cramped 717 even if it means paying more for 2x2 seating. In these airline economic times, everyone is rushing to be an LCC which has it's benefits. I guess Midwest is going to stick with their niche belief of being different. Time will tell if their plan is going to be successful.

We interrupt this broadcast with a thread hijack...

True the DoJet may be a flying speedbump but guess what? Because it doesn't fly above .66M, we get the same amount of daily flight timeas the CRJ/ERJ pilots but flying less legs. For me, I'd rather fly slower and do 4-5 legs a day than to fly through the sky at.999999M and do 8-9. Of course, it helps that Midwest's scheduling department doesn't have our planes flying 12 hours a day. But that may change in the near future. The DoJet is easy to fly and, despite it's shortcomings, is a fun airplane to fly.

And, I'll second Brew3 about cabin comfort. The 328 is very comfortable in the back.

We return you to your normal thread programming...

Peace

SF

ShadowFlight said:
True the DoJet may be a flying speedbump but guess what? Because it doesn't fly above .66M, we get the same amount of daily flight timeas the CRJ/ERJ pilots but flying less legs. For me, I'd rather fly slower and do 4-5 legs a day than to fly through the sky at.999999M and do 8-9. Of course, it helps that Midwest's scheduling department doesn't have our planes flying 12 hours a day. But that may change in the near future. The DoJet is easy to fly and, despite it's shortcomings, is a fun airplane to fly.

SF

What CRJ/ERJ pilots fly 8-9 legs a day?? You must be kidding. The most we have at Comair is 6, and there aren't that many of those days. When ACA had all the short runs, they did the 7-8 leg days because their stage lenghts were so short. I don't think there has been a 8-9 leg day at Comair since they flew the Bandit.

Chip said:
The 717 might last 3 times as long as the EMB, so lets just say 40 years total. How big of an oil crunch will the world be in 40 years down the road. Im guessing so big that planes other than the 717 will have to be developed anyways. In todays world, and more so the future world, who really cares if an aircraft last a tremendous period of time. Theres only a limited supply of oil and it cant be re-made.
We're good to go on oil for the next 400-500 years. I'm admittedly not brilliant enough to come up with an alternate fuel source, but I'm sure someone in a white coat will do so by then.

lowecur said:
They may just sell off the CRJ's as the 170's come on line, and eventually close WO down. There is an overseas market for them, as was proven with the recent sale of 9 at FLYi.

I'm not sure about the overseas market you refer to but I know of 4 sold domestically went at "fire sale prices." Why would they sell any here in the states if overseas buyers were willing to pay more? Do you have any idea what was paid for those aircraft or are you just speculating? The market for 50 seat RJ's is pretty flat.

Dave Benjamin said:
I'm not sure about the overseas market you refer to but I know of 4 sold domestically went at "fire sale prices." Why would they sell any here in the states if overseas buyers were willing to pay more? Do you have any idea what was paid for those aircraft or are you just speculating? The market for 50 seat RJ's is pretty flat.
I assume you mean the 4 that went to Skywest. No, I don't have any idea what was paid.

The overseas market has always been a market of last resort, particulary in Europe. I'm speculating that with the economic expansion in China & India, these RJ's will always find a home. It may be .25-50 on the dollar, but there will always be an upstart or existing carrier that will buy them in the next few years.

brew3departure said:

That's because it is a new aircraft. I remember when the 145 was new. It had a terrible reliability issue. They will work the bugs out, it will just take some time.

117 seats in FL's 717.

brew3departure said:
...of all the regional jets, though, it's probably the most comfortable one to ride in back. And that, my friend, is what the people care about.

Don't know if it's a fair comparison, but I've ridden in the 328 and in Mesaba's Avro, and I think the Avro has it, hands down.

They're both slow as Mississippi, though. :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back