Boycott Pinnacle Apps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CptOver,

Though I didn't list any regional aircraft, I certainly flew my share. Sat my share of reserve. One thing is certain, I didn't get hired into ANY "regional" aircraft with less than 2000 hours. Not even close. The rest of your suppositions are pretty close to accurate, though. I had several false starts with some of those "upstarts" before landing at one that has managed to survive. And thrive. I also didn't pay for my 737 type. So that argument is kind of wasted, too.

But I wish I had the chance to "poke around in a Connie".

(Your momma wouldn't happen to be named Connie, would she?)

Last edited:
Notice everyone bashes the regionals for "pay for training", but no one says anything about paying $7,000 for a 737 type.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree a bit here with ya, no one you should have to pay for a type....but hey atleast if you get on with SW after paying for that type you'll get more than 18K a year.

PFT_128 said:
Not that I'm against the idea, but T-Gates is right. Too many people have SJS (Shiny Jet Syndrome). You'll never stop the Pinnacles of the world from screwing over pilots. I just hope that our negotiating committee is working on this problem in our contract negotiations right now.

Not bad.... But didn't you pay Tom Cooper to fly 1900's

Lakes pays for double occupancy hotel during tng, but no pay during tng. However, the pay never really "kicks in" after tng either.

Yank, wasn't really an attack, just an observation. The industry is completly different and changing quickly. Frankly every new shiny jet recieved at a regional just means that I will be stuck flying one longer and I DON'T want to fly them for the rest of my carreer at substandard wages. I wish ALPA or should I say WE (since WE are the union) would stand up and call an end to all the whipsawing the airline managements are doing. Changing names, starting new airlines, buying certificates to circumvent contracts already in place, is the norm. Just seems some "heavy iron drivers" become so disconnected to the battles at this level that, they don't even know what aircraft types are being flown by which regional. I once heard a A330 driver ask the Mesaba CRJ to pull up so they can get into their gate.

My point being pay for training is a joke, we are reducing are own career potential by accepting these positions and allowing these airlines to undercut each other with OUR salaries. Someone posted on a different thread that the regionals themselves undercut mainline. And they are correct, but unless you were flying for a "regional" in the mid 80's and early 90's you had no control over the regional boom. But we can stop the race to the bottom by standing together on not accepting substandard wages while we are at the regionals.

It really is obnoxious. Think about it...

You are (obviously since you have been hired...maybe not) a qualified commercial airline pilot thats about to begin flying a jet with many passengers at hundreds of miles per hour at thousands of feet of altitude...

...and not only do you not get paid or "put up" in training, but the pay once you begin training is not much more than what a high-schooler would get walking in off the street full-time at Walmart.

Honestly.

The sad fact is that we all love this "job" so much that we would do it for next to nothing. Some of you even find a desire to pay for it (which I wont jack the thread by going in to). As mentioned...as long as there are pilots who will do it because of glossy jet eyes or quick upgrades or whatever it may be - it will be accepted in the industry. Ive been tempted...I wanted it so bad I could almost look past the no pay during training thing...but it is a shame.

Its insulting to look at how much time, effort, and money I spent getting to where I am and have to put up with horrible work schedules, time away from home, low pay, and not being paid during training. Its no surprise so many guys are dropping out of this industry.

One of the big reasons (besides my love for flying) I got into this industry was to stay away from the 9 to 5 desk job. Well I tell you what...having been in the aviation industry for a few years I have a whole new respect for guys who only work 9 to 5 for 5 days a week and are home everynight and have every weekend off no question.

Kind of makes you wonder.

I both love and hate this industry, but the sad fact is that I wouldnt be happy doing anything else. Ill do my part to try to help us getting it moving in the right direction...but Ive also got to do what I can to get by.

What a world eh?

Irish,

I agree with you, but you got a line 1000's deep ready to blow goats to do it. Funny thing about is that there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow anymore.

One born every minute....

Nu

Cpt,

I totally agree with everything you said in your post above. I have spent a great deal of time in this industry at every level, and seen what you describe at work over and over again. I certainly don't have any answers, but fully support the effort.

Take care and good luck.

Way2Broke said:
The trend towards unpaid training (and not even putting you up) has got to stop.

What "trend" is this? The airlines that don't pay you in training, or put you up in a hotel, are the same airlines that did, or didn't do, this five years ago... Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of. Personally, I never applied to Pinnacle (or its' predecessor) or Skywest for these very reasons... And I don't think the list has grown any in the last half-dozen years.

Didn't Skywest just start this practice last year? I don't think it was always that way there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back