• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bose QC2 w/ Ufly Mic - earbuds now required by FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless your airline requires you use a TSO'd headset then nust buy the QC2 and UFlyMike and have a blast.

No earbuds required.

Gup

Telex 750's are TSO'd I believe.

On another note, I believe all Lightspeed ANR's (zulu's?) are not TSO'd. I have an older pair, and they do not lose audio when the battery fails. However, I believe they don't pass the test because radar can interfere with them. Which equals a 1/4 second tone 0-2 times or so a month, and only when at a field with radar on site......... Or maybe my set has just been beaten to a pulp over the years.

Mike,

So why don't you make your own 'headband' for the UFM, instead of relying on only one specific headband, the QC2, which is not, according to Bose, a TSO'ed product?

Rekks.

By the way, if a company writes a requirement for a TSO'ed headset requirement, and the FAA authorizes it's inclusion in the companies FOM, then it IS regulatory in nature. Period. And just because the manufacturer of the aircraft did not include headsets as part of the certification does not override the operators requirements, as outlined in the operators' FOM.

Mike,

So why don't you make your own 'headband' for the UFM, instead of relying on only one specific headband, the QC2, which is not, according to Bose, a TSO'ed product?

We're working on it, although we don't have to have Bose' permission. If you consider all the pieces and parts in a TSO'd article, there is no requirement to get each manufacturer's permission to use their part in a TSO'd article. That applies to Bose, also.

Mike

Copied from another board:

1) From the QC2 Owners Manual:

Other needs
These headphones are not engineered to meet the needs of pilots or to meet civil aviation authority standards for aviation communications.
For that purpose, Bose offers the Aviation Headset, which features a microphone with the appropriate power and intelligibility for transmission of flight information. It is engineered to withstand the altitude and temperature conditions common in non-commercial aircraft.
For information on the Bose® Aviation Headset contact Bose Corporation by calling 1-508-766-1099 or +31(0)299-390777.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't we fly Commercial Aircraft???

Of course they are going to say that, (dramatically as possible) They have much more profit margin in their aviation headsets.

I used to own bose speakers (live and learn), and really have very little respect for most of their products. I would never lay down a grand for their headsets, even if they were worth it.

We're working on it, although we don't have to have Bose' permission. If you consider all the pieces and parts in a TSO'd article, there is no requirement to get each manufacturer's permission to use their part in a TSO'd article. That applies to Bose, also.

Mike

Blackey if you were a congressman maybe the nation would know how much b.s. the stimulus legislation is.

So what about my TSO'd, battery less, painful, and piece of crap, company issued headset which failed, without warning, last week? I guess that one is ok.

Latest resources

Back