• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bose QC2 w/ Ufly Mic - earbuds now required by FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So do you have to have the buds available, or do you have to use them constantly?

goodgig,

Constantly. All you need is to be able to hear that audio is coming out of them, so just putting one/both in an earcup works. Much like having overhead speaker on as a confirmation that QC2 audio is working. This meets the "pass through" requirement for ANR headsets.

It solves a non-problem that never existed.

Mike

I think most people would prefer it if you spent your time making a fail safe product rather than trying to justify the deficiencies of your current product.

I've had exactly two headset failures, and both have been with TSO'd units. (One lost audio in the earcups, and the other snapped in half an fell around my neck.)

How exactly did the TSO help make them "fail safe"?

I've had exactly two headset failures, and both have been with TSO'd units. (One lost audio in the earcups, and the other snapped in half an fell around my neck.)

CA1900,

Good point. The audio from the earbuds is independent of the QC2 and comes directly off the comm panel. Is it "fail safe?" No. But, it's the only headset on the market that now has redundant audio.

Nothing is, but there's a faction that have an unfounded fear of a battery powered headset. To me, monitoring a battery is no different than monitoring the fuel, oil and oxygen in the aircraft... well, almost. If your headset quits you don't normally fall out of the air....

Mike

There is big difference between an unplanned mechanical or electrical failure and a product that is engineered to be unserviceable when something like a battery dies. I'm not saying the TSO certification is the holy grail either. TSO or not something like an aviation headset should at least be engineered for the environment it was intended for. In the case of the QC2, it was never meant for the flight deck.

There is big difference between an unplanned mechanical or electrical failure and a product that is engineered to be unserviceable when something like a battery dies. I'm not saying the TSO certification is the holy grail either. TSO or not something like an aviation headset should at least be engineered for the environment it was intended for. In the case of the QC2, it was never meant for the flight deck.

DoinTime,

The QC2 passed the same TSO specs as the Bose X. Ever listen to the so-called "pass through" on some ANR headsets? Some are unusable; other ANR headsets go dead when the battery dies... you have to turn the power switch off to regain any audio. They all have shortcomings.

FAA CMOs are not authorized to evaluate operational policies of air carriers.

I'm afraid you're completely incorrect on that one. While operational policy outside of regulatory requirements does not need to be approved, the CMO does have the authority and certainly does evaluate that policy. Whether the carrier chooses to implement recommendations from the CMO is their choice. There is no question that the CMO does and should evaluate all aspects of a carrier's operational policy.

To answer your question in specific-should the ANR portion of your headset fail or power be lost to the ANR portion of the system you would still be able to hear ATC at some level determined to be acceptable.

To answer your question in general, nothing...the PMA/TSO'd manufacturers just have to pay more in liability insurance and meet various requirements in their manufacturing facilities.

The bottom line is that as a professional pilot you need to meet the requirements of your GOM and other company publications and the FAA.

This leaves you with two choices. You can use the sheitearse D-C or Telex headvices or inaudible crappy devices your company provides or you can go out and pay for some honest to God FAA PMA/TSO'd aviation headsets with or without the ANR and with or without the cellphone/ipod input connections.

You're the one that wants to be a professional pilot...guess you need to live within the rules.

Sorry that your union didn't negotiate you a better deal!

Last edited:
I am sure someone here will have no problem correcting me if I am wrong, but last I heard the Telex 750's are not TSO'd. Does that mean that we cannot use them going forward? If so, I'll add the earbuds to my QC2/UFM, I only carry the Telex as a spare anyway since I got the QC2/UFM.

To answer your question in specific-should the ANR portion of your headset fail or power be lost to the ANR portion of the system you would still be able to hear ATC at some level determined to be acceptable.

The TSO'd headsets both gave out with no warning. Should the same thing happen with the QC2 setup, the solution is the same: turn up the speaker knob.

The bottom line is that as a professional pilot you need to meet the requirements of your GOM and other company publications and the FAA.

And that's exactly what I do. My GOM says nothing about using a TSO'd headset. Nor do any of the FAR parts under which I currently operate (135, 91, 91k), or part 121 for that matter.

This leaves you with two choices.

Three, actually. A non-TSO'd headset is completely legal. Please show me where the FARs requires a TSO'd headset.

You're the one that wants to be a professional pilot...guess you need to live within the rules.

Please see above.

Sorry that your union didn't negotiate you a better deal!

I'm completely happy with the deal my union negotiated. What does that have to do with this?

Latest resources

Back