• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Book Recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman. You will be stunned about where the world was as is going due to globalization. Basically it summarizes we in America are becoming dumber.
You have to read a book to figure that one out?
Just talk to a high school student. Even better, look how many people voted for this Mickey Mouse President we have.

I just finished up "Scorpion Down", which was a fantastic book on the loss of the nuclear submarine Scorpion in 1968...Good read and pretty insightful regarding the rise of the Russian Navy and there's even a little conspiracy theory in there.

Right now, I'm reading a book on submarine warfare called "Blind Mans's Bluff". It's a compilation of several submarine stories from the cold war. It's pretty entertaining due to the clandestine nature of submarines and their role durring the Cold War.

"Three Engines, Half a Wing, and a Prayer" is also a great book. It's about B-17's in Europe, and it chronicles what crewmembers went through in combat. It covers several of the more famous raids in WWII and the losses associated with them. I really enjoyed this one and it really put into context what the "Greatest Generation" went through, and made me want to keep their sacrifices on the fore front of my memory.

If you like submariner stories I just read a great book about two sister boats in WWII, "A Tale of Two Subs." It's still in hardback as it just came out. Quick read and a page turner. I'll read and have read anything WWII above the surface but after reading this book, I have picked up more WWII sub stories. Fact is truly greater than fiction.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

then

Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand - Leonard Peikoff

Read all three and ALL were great

Not sure if these were posted, but these three were great to travel with and read. These kept me busy in terminals, FBOs and in hotels. Excellent reads all three!!

CALL OF DUTY: MY LIFE BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THE BAND OF BROTHERS, LT. Lynn "Buck" Compton. (this guy had an amazing life and the people who he came in contact with is cool)

AMERICAN PATRIOT, THE LIFE & WARS OF COLONEL BUD DAY. (another amazing person and what happened to him. only known pilot to eject and not have a chute deploy and live, wow)

JOHN BOYD, THE FIGHTER PILOT WHO CHANGED THE ART OF AIR WARFARE. (it's my understanding that EVERY fighter pilot has read this and I think it's on the Air Force's official reading list)

Have fun!!

I didn't know Col. Day had a book; I met the man back in 2002 at Eglin AFB as an AFROTC cadet. He came to talk to us, and was carrying his Medal of Honor in his suit pocket.

What a great man...

Latest resources

Back