• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bomber pilot helped land airliner after captain fell ill

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It could have EASILY been a terrorist act. All they had to do was find a US airline captain that was about to have a heart attack in flight. Then coerce him into joining their cause. Then get a trained terrorist into the US, and have them scheduled for the same flight.

Then, when the Captain had a heart attack, they could show the FAs their fake credentials, or know how to answer the FOs questions, and take their place on the flight deck and take over the aircraft.

The terrorists probably have a fake pilots flying on every US flight with a flight deck crew member with a heart condition...just in case.

If it was me alone, I am finding a pilot to help me out. If there are none, then I am getting the most confident Cabin Crew up there to help out.

In that situation any goober could've said he was a pilot and got in the cockpit. There are bad guys flying the system and waiting for opportunities, this could have been an opportunity.

But more important is what we r trained to do; and at our airline it's land single-pilot. It would be a bigger distraction trying to fly and familiarize someone on the the airplane.

It could have EASILY been a terrorist act. All they had to do was find a US airline captain that was about to have a heart attack in flight. Then coerce him into joining their cause. Then get a trained terrorist into the US, and have them scheduled for the same flight.

Then, when the Captain had a heart attack, they could show the FAs their fake credentials, or know how to answer the FOs questions, and take their place on the flight deck and take over the aircraft.

The terrorists probably have a fake pilots flying on every US flight with a flight deck crew member with a heart condition...just in case.

If it was me alone, I am finding a pilot to help me out. If there are none, then I am getting the most confident Cabin Crew up there to help out.

Not terrorism, but what about some idiot who took some flight lessons, has a hero complex, and tells the FA that they have "experience flying a boeing/airbus/etc., while leaving out the fact that it was on MS FlightSim?

Sorry, no airline ID, no cockpit entry.

I'd rather have a flight attendant up there with me than someone of unknown origin.

Possible exception: A frac pilot with a verifiable ID, such as NetJets would be of some value, but again, you gotta prove it or no deal.

Not terrorism, but what about some idiot who took some flight lessons, has a hero complex, and tells the FA that they have "experience flying a boeing/airbus/etc., while leaving out the fact that it was on MS FlightSim?

I'd rather have a flight attendant up there with me than someone of unknown origin.

Possible exception: A frac pilot with a verifiable ID, such as NetJets would be of some value, but again, you gotta prove it or no deal.

How is a fractional pilot any more/less useful than a military pilot in this situation.

I don't think i'd bring this guy up. I'm not sure i'd bring this guy up even if he was an OA 121 pilot unless we had previously met (i.e. jumpseater checking in). Not for security, just for the fact that you are taking an unusual situation with 100 moving parts, and doubling-down. The "increase" in safety in having him up in the cockpit does not warrant the risk that many previous posters have already mentioned.

I'd be really interested to hear if the FO would make the same decision again in retrospect.

Last edited:
Obviously terrorism isn't the issue. The issue is bringing someone up that would be pretty clueless about the airplane, but more importantly they could have a personality that could cause more problems rather than less. It seems to me that is the issue. On the other hand, the point was made about using all available resources, which is a good one. The bottom line is....it was, and should be the F/O's call. We weren't there.

In that situation any goober could've said he was a pilot and got in the cockpit. There are bad guys flying the system and waiting for opportunities, this could have been an opportunity.

But more important is what we r trained to do; and at our airline it's land single-pilot. It would be a bigger distraction trying to fly and familiarize someone on the the airplane.

But this goober had a military ID.

And likely a few pictures of himself and his sexy Bone on his iPhone.

So you'd take a OA/frac ID over a military ID-?
My issue isn't one over the other - it's now you're checking id's inflight up in the cockpit. That is a problem. And i'd imagine it's a problem to an airline's security program.

So you'd take a OA/frac ID over a military ID-?
My issue isn't one over the other - it's now you're checking id's inflight up in the cockpit. That is a problem. And i'd imagine it's a problem to an airline's security program.

Military ID? No problem either. But wasn't the guy in the story retired? Or did I miss that?

Need to have an ACTIVE ID of some sort.

How is a fractional pilot any more/less useful than a military pilot in this situation.

I don't think i'd bring this guy up. I'm not sure i'd bring this guy up even if he was an OA 121 pilot unless we had previously met (i.e. jumpseater checking in). Not for security, just for the fact that you are taking an unusual situation with 100 moving parts, and doubling-down. The "increase" in safety in having him up in the cockpit does not warrant the risk that many previous posters have already mentioned.

I'd be really interested to hear if the FO would make the same decision again in retrospect.

I thought he was retired. Active mil, no prob.

Latest resources

Back