Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it just a flight

Guys,

It was airplane flight where someone in the back helped out. Period. It was not a moon mission.

I get the feeling that even a military trained pilot is not good enough to fly with people on this board!

AWACS

I think we might be missing the point. I'm old school, I always stick my head in the cockpit to say hi and I always thank the crew for the ride on the way out. Whether deadheading, nonreving, a jumpseater with a seat or paying passenger. This may seem annoying to some but to me a common professional curtesy. Had this crew known you were in the cabin, scaring the entire passenger load could have been avoided. Going solo with a professional pilot in the back might not be the best option. Argue the point all you want but simply another set of eyes and ears while you are under stress is useful. Those of you who do this, thanks, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Guys,

It was airplane flight where someone in the back helped out. Period. It was not a moon mission.

I get the feeling that even a military trained pilot is not good enough to fly with people on this board!

AWACS

As a former military pilot, if I were to find myself in this FO's situation, solo with the other pilot laying down in the aisle, the only reason I could benefit from a non-company pilot in the cockpit with me would be to alert me if I forgot to put the gear down. Nothing more. I can remember to put the gear down. A non-company, non-typed pilot has no idea of the systems or procedures, and I don't have time to help him tune a radio or ILS.

Well meaning passengers should stay out of the way and remain in their assigned seat until I turn off the seatbelt sign. Just saying.

"Immediately, Gongol realized the pilot was the patient. He looked to his wife; as she gave him a nod, Gongol pressed his button and headed toward the flight deck."

That's were it all went wrong. :laugh:

As a former military pilot, if I were to find myself in this FO's situation, solo with the other pilot laying down in the aisle, the only reason I could benefit from a non-company pilot in the cockpit with me would be to alert me if I forgot to put the gear down. Nothing more. I can remember to put the gear down. A non-company, non-typed pilot has no idea of the systems or procedures, and I don't have time to help him tune a radio or ILS.

Well meaning passengers should stay out of the way and remain in their assigned seat until I turn off the seatbelt sign. Just saying.

In the guys defense, they asked him...not the other way around. I'm sure if any of us were aboard and the request came over the PA, we'd have gotten up.

I just shake my head at the media's portrayal of a military pilot coming into the cockpit and assessing the ability of a civilian pilot and then "backing her up" in case she did something incorrect. The guy is probably decent and in the end I hope UAL gives him an open offer of employment.

That's our media for ya'.

How dramatic would this have been?

"F/O DOES HER JOB AS SHE WAS TRAINED. PASSENGERS NEVER IN DANGER"

Last edited:
We're trained to continue single-pilot in an incapacitation, not train and familiarize another pilot. He could have been more distraction than help, and liability for the fo and company if something went wrong.

You should always stick to the way you were trained.

Last edited:
In the guys defense, they asked him...not the other way around. I'm sure if any of us were aboard and the request came over the PA, we'd have gotten up.

I just shake my head at the media's portrayal of a military pilot coming into the cockpit and assessing the ability of a civilian pilot and then "backing her up" in case she did something incorrect. The guy is probably decent and in the end I hope UAL gives him an open offer of employment.

I have no issue with a pilot stepping up to help out, however inflated his opinion of his contributions might be. I don't even fault the helpful FA for letting him into the cockpit. Personally I would thank any passenger for offering his help and would tell the FA to give him a coke and a bag of peanuts as a "thank you", back as his seat.

I've got to question the wisdom of a non company trained pilot being let in to help also. Sounds like he sat on his hands and didn't cause a problem. But he was not a known entity. What if it had been someone that thought they needed to assert themselves in a way that caused more of a distraction than a help? Suppose he started arguing with the F/O? What if he thought he knew "better" and tried to influence the F/O and caused a conflict? What if he was a pathological liar and wasn't really a pilot?
Get the Captain medical help, declare an emergency and land ASAP. Doesn't seem that hard to me.

I think that's the question-
Is this the time and place to check out a pilot's documents and licenses?
And if you don't do that, it's a security risk
Wouldn't be the farthest stretch that a plan could be to take out a pilot with something in drink or food, maybe as far back as the hotel- then in the commotion, get to the flight deck.

I want to roll my eyes at that scenario, but I thought protecting the flight deck was rule number 1. I'd rather stick a flight attendant up there if one was available, or any company employee, or just land solo.

Latest resources

Back