• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boeing Unveils Its Jumbo Killer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They're talking about folding wing tips, not folding wings. Just the last 10 feet of each wing.

I'm guessing they'll be plenty strong, but even with a failure you're not going to be uncontrollable.

Edit: Found this article, which states the aircraft will be certified to fly with the wingtips folded, and the folding portion will not contain any moving control surfaces:

http://www.aspireaviation.com/2013/02/14/boeing-777x-787-10-unfazed-by-787-battery-woes/

Last edited:
Last edited:
SO reading between the lines, I am thinking the Delta order is only going to be for all those ex Navy guys :) or maybe I am missing something here and you are all hinting that the 777X is the Navy's replacement for the F/A 18?

Baahahahahaha

They were left unlocked, it didn't fail. That's like blaming the gear for landing with the handle up.

I agree. But, it's just one more thing for a human to fail at. When they do, Martin Baker isn't going to have 350 seats in the back to get people out of trouble.

I'm not against the idea of folding wings. However, it does seem to be an obvious point at which a catastrophic event becomes possible. We recently started putting gear pins in as a matter of course. Guess how many of our airplanes fell over during the night prior to gear pins being installed ? Now guess how many have taken off with them installed ? By the way, the airplane doesn't require gear pins to be installed.

Latest resources

Back