Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Traderd

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...obsolete#r=rss

"The 777X will be the first twin-engine jet able to ply long-haul routes with payloads comparable to the larger jumbos. That?s likely to accelerate airlines? shift away from mammoth, four-engine fuel-guzzlers such as Boeing?s latest 747-8 and Airbus?s (EADSY) double-decker A380. ?My assumption is the 747 is dead, or will be dead in a year or two,? says Adam Pilarski, senior vice president at aerospace consultant Avitas. Like the 747 four decades ago, he says, the 777X is aimed at a market segment where it lacks a direct rival and ?may have a very good run.?

Still, Randy Tinseth, Boeing?s vice president for marketing, insists the 747 remains critical to the company?s goal of offering a range of products to satisfy demand for planes with 200 to 500 seats. ?We?re bringing the 777X to the market eyes wide-open with how it will fit in the family,? he says. ?We?re confident the 747-8 will be a great airplane to complement what we?re doing there.?

Well, one of them will be right...

"The first model, the 777-9X, will be able to fly as far as 8,000 nautical miles with more than 400 passengers while burning 20 percent less fuel than the current 777, now the world?s biggest twin-engine jet."

"The new 777X model will boast the biggest engines ever put on a plane, a record wingspan that can be shortened by having the tips fold up after landing, and lower operating costs."

Bodacious Ta-Ta's and folding wingtips on a 777? Maverick and Iceman are licking their chops...

Wingtips fold up. I see no problem that could ever happen in daily commercial aviation with wings that fold up.

Wingtips fold up. I see no problem that could ever happen in daily commercial aviation with wings that fold up.

I've never heard of a case of a wingfold hinge failure on a modern fighter. We have literally thousands of F-18's that have upwards of 7.5 G's cycled over and over again for over 8000 hours with no problems. It's not really that cosmic.

Biggest engine in regards to fan diameter. The GE-90's put out 115,000 pounds while the new GE's are tuned down to about 105,000 pounds because they new 777 doesn't need that extra thrust

Big rumor is that Emirates will order 150 777X's at the Dubai air show.

Delta is going to be launch customer. Order 1 firm and options for 2 777X and let us all take turns flying it.

Actually, it's a safety backup. In case of a double flameout, you unlock the wings and engage the battery-powered ornithopter mode. Should give you 30 minutes of vigorous flapping to make an alternate field. :D

Actually, it's a safety backup. In case of a double flameout, you unlock the wings and engage the battery-powered ornithopter mode. Should give you 30 minutes of vigorous flapping to make an alternate field. :D

And to get the vigorous flapping started, the EP is to have the FAs run up and down the aisles. :D

I sure hope the wing-fold lever is clearly marked and not located immediately next to the flap handle.

Flaps fiftee - whoops...

Could double as a speed-brake augmenter though.

Latest resources

Back