Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is Boeing's last chance to....

GET RID OF THE FREAKIN YOKE!!!

Yes. Yokes are an anachronistic appeal to a bygone era. But the old-timers seem to like them.

I think the yoke would have saved Air France 447. The FO was holding full back side stick all the way until impact. The other FO in the left seat and the CA back from the bunk had no idea he was holding full aft until just prior to impact. When the CA realized what he was doing he said "no, no, no." If the 330 had a yoke then the other pilot would have seen the FO with the yoke in his gut and might have been clued into the fact that they were in a deep stall. Any thoughts?

Pay and QOL?

I think the yoke would have saved Air France 447. The FO was holding full back side stick all the way until impact. The other FO in the left seat and the CA back from the bunk had no idea he was holding full aft until just prior to impact. When the CA realized what he was doing he said "no, no, no." If the 330 had a yoke then the other pilot would have seen the FO with the yoke in his gut and might have been clued into the fact that they were in a deep stall. Any thoughts?

Power at idle for 30 mins, and you hit the ocean no matter what you do with the stick. (or yoke)

Power at idle for 30 mins, and you hit the ocean no matter what you do with the stick. (or yoke)

That might be true, except in the AF case the power was at TOGA the whole time so I'm not sure what your point is. What the IRO did with the stick was very relevant in that case.

This whole conversation is utterly pointless. We don't get any input. The 777X is still a 777 at heart and it's going to have a yoke and a common type rating. Period, end of story. All I want to know is when I can bid it and how much does it pay.

Yes, thirty minutes is a long time. On a bad day, I can't even hold my breath for that long.

The power setting was 100% or TOGA for almost the entire accident sequence. What they did "with the stick" really did matter, since that's what killed everybody on board. The accident sequence was around four minutes.

Other than that, great post.

Latest resources

Back